Question about Login Screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Question about Login Screen

Post by exploder »

Go into the Control Center, Logon Manager, there is a tab that has the settings for auto logon. Sorry for the poor description but I am on KDE 4 right now. If you look around where I described you will find the setting you want.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

One of the first things anyone new to Linux should learn is that you do not run as root. There are circumstances that require root access but these are few and far between. Staying logged on as root is a bad idea on any operating system.
mcash454

Post by mcash454 »

exploder wrote:One of the first things anyone new to Linux should learn is that you do not run as root. There are circumstances that require root access but these are few and far between. Staying logged on as root is a bad idea on any operating system.
I have to say that this is something that I don't completely understand in Linux either. I follow the conventional wisdom of not running as root, but always have a nagging sense of confusion when I am typing 'sudo' in front of all my commands. It's not like typing sudo is making me more cautious, and therefore less likely to wreck my system :lol:

I'm not saying that I think being logged in as root all the time is good. I believe the experts when they say it isn't, I guess I just haven't ever really heard many reasons that I can relate to that support this philosophy.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The biggest reason for not running as root is that the system is wide open for disaster. On Windows, home users are nearly always logged on as root, when they are hit by a virus or a hacker the entire system goes down. Corporations use user accounts in Windows so that if something goes wrong it only effects one profile and not the whole system, (usually...) By using sudo your system is safe from outside influences. You have the ability in Mint to log on as root, you use root for the username and the first user accounts password. If you wanted to run Mondo Recovery, you would need to log on as root to create a usable image file because using sudo will not create an image that will work but for day to day use sudo is the better solution.
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

:roll:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

EDIT: OKay, had to reread the above post more then once to pick up on the statement "you can log in as root, and your password is the same as the user password," not to quote exactly. Phew, so i CAN log in as root, yay.
[Solved]
It's your system. :)
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

newmintguy wrote:So that's it, how do i remove the login prompt, and the password prompts permanently, or is this even possible?
No modern OS, that provides multiple logins will be setup as not requiring a password
Windows OS was the exception to that rule; which they have since corrected

It will never be part of a distributions' installation process; perhaps you can re-master Mint or another distribution to have root enabled or use a distribution that has a root user created, as well as a more limited regular user
--in that case, again with passwords you will need the root user password to do root actions
--in Ubuntu /Mint you need sudo (in terminal) or gksu, or kdesu on a desktop (Gnome, KDE) to do root actions
If you haven't also disabled the password or made it a blank

Then sudo -s or sudu -i in a terminal will give you the root prompt(#), and you can proceed to download whatever you wanted.

In fact using sudo, doesn't always ask for a password, since there is an active time during which that password/session is alive, so that a single sudo + your password, then allows you to proceed as root privilege
--you can manipulate/delete overwrite anything you want
--delete hard drives partitons, scramble the partition space, make it unbootable; not a problem at all

Return to “Beginner Questions”