Do I need a UEFI partition?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Luke Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Do I need a UEFI partition?

Post by Luke Johnson »

Currently I have Windows 7 installed on a MBR SSD, while the computer is running UEFI. Say I connect another SSD to the computer and want to install Ulyssa on it. Should I choose MBR or GPT?

Since the computer is running UEFI, should I create a UEFI partition while installing Ulyssa?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Do I need a UEFI partition?

Post by ThaCrip »

Generally speaking it's best to use GPT+UEFI and not the older MBR+BIOS. but it's not that big of a deal either way. also, you can tell if Mint is using UEFI mode by checking to see if there is a 'efi' folder in the "/sys/firmware/" folder.

but basically during installation of Mint to get it to use UEFI I tend to opt for manual way of installing using the 'something else' option (but naturally during initial selection choose the 'Erase disk and install Linux Mint')...

1)Create 512MB (primary/beginning of space) 'EFI Partition System'.
2)Create main place to install Mint to... "/" (primary/beginning of space) EXT4
3)Device for bootloader installation "/dev/sdX1/ (where "X" is the location of the SSD/HDD your booting Mint from which is probably '/dev/sda1' or something close to that. but if you only got one hard drive connected it should be more straight forward.)
4)Click 'Install Now' and your good ;)

NOTE: you can create a swap partition but I suggest just using default which seems to use a 2GB swap file.
NOTE: at least on my PC when booting from the installation USB stick you need to boot it in UEFI mode initially as when I reboot my computer I press F8 which brings up a menu and then I select the USB stick with the Mint installation on it but I got to make sure to select the one listed as "UEFI" and not the more standard/BIOS boot type.
NOTE: if your booting from Mint install media you can run 'Gparted' to make sure the SSD/HDD is using GPT before installation.
NOTE: to state the obvious... before attempting any of this stuff backup any important data you have on your computer first so you don't lose any important data you have!

that's the gist of it ;)

here is a website that shows you the gist of things... https://averagelinuxuser.com/linux-mint ... ion-guide/ ; scroll down to the section where it says "Configure the partitions manually". but this does not seem to show UEFI (although it does a bit lower down the page) but using that general thing along with what I said above you can reason out how to do it. but I noticed on that page they separate the system and 'home' folders with a different partition but I personally do not use that.

p.s. for the record... you can probably still upgrade your PC to Win10 for free if you want to using the official 'Media Creation Tool' from Microsoft (i.e. https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10 ; if you access that page from a Windows machine it will work as expected but if you try accessing it from a Linux machine it will redirect you to this link instead... https://www.microsoft.com/software-down ... ndows10ISO ). assuming your computer works with Windows 10, I suggest at least doing this initially so that if you want to go back to Windows, you can clean install Windows 10 and use that. then at this point you can clean install Mint as if for whatever reason you want to dump Mint and go back to Windows, you can still do it since Win10 will be officially registered for use on that computer.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

Lot of question to put in clear...let's begin from here (Identifying Your Windows Boot Mode) and, would you please, demonstrate that Windows 7 installed on MBR disk is (not) running in UEFI mode.
Last edited by JOPETA on Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:01 am, edited 7 times in total.
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Luke Johnson wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:12 am Currently I have Windows 7 installed on a MBR SSD, while the computer is running UEFI. Say I connect another SSD to the computer and want to install Ulyssa on it. Should I choose MBR or GPT?

Since the computer is running UEFI, should I create a UEFI partition while installing Ulyssa?
Confusing, if win is booting in legacy mode then you are not running UEFI.

Find out how you are booting win, and install mint in the same mode:
https://www.eightforums.com/threads/bio ... ode.29504/
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Luke Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Luke Johnson »

Disk Management in my Windows doesn't show EFI.
So I shouldn't create a UEFI partition while installing Mint, and that's it?
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Post by JOPETA »

As it is said (also in your other thread) if your are going to install Mint in UEFI mode, new disk must be formated using GPT partitioning style (in most cases) and an EFI partition is needed , but you wont be able to boot Winodws 7 from Grub menu if it is installed in BIOS legacy mode (single boot).

If Windows is installed in BIOS legacy mode, you can install Linux Mint in BIOS Legacy mode and get dual boot. I that case an EFI partiton is not needed (it's unwanted). You can format your new device in MBR or in GPT (you will need to create a bios-grub partition in last case).

Take into account you need to be sure you boot Linux Mint Installation media in the mode/way you are going to install (using your boot menu key and/or changing EUFI settings if need it).
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)
Luke Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Luke Johnson »

Thanks.
Suppose I replace Windows 7 with Windows 10 before I do everything I listed. Is there a way to set Win10 up so that it uses UEFI mode?
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

Luke Johnson wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:44 pm Thanks.
Suppose I replace Windows 7 with Windows 10 before I do everything I listed. Is there a way to set Win10 up so that it uses UEFI mode?
It don't really matter if your just trying to get the free upgrade to Win10 so that Microsoft acknowledges you got a license for it (you can use legacy or UEFI and end result is the same in this regard). because if your just trying to get it so you can use Win10 on that computer in case you don't like Mint for whatever reason, just do the upgrade, confirm Win10 is activated, then wipe the drive and install Mint.

but as far as getting Win10 installed in UEFI mode... on my computer I simply press F8 once I see the BIOS screen at which point it shows what I can boot from (like USB stick etc) and I just make sure to select the UEFI option (as it offers both legacy and UEFI) as once you do this, Win10 will install in UEFI mode. yours might be a little different but it's probably in that ball park.

p.s. I suggest you create a multiboot USB stick (you will probably need at least a 16GB USB stick if you want Mint and Win10 ISO's on same USB stick) using Ventoy which will allow you to boot Windows and Linux Mint ISO's directly from the same USB stick... viewtopic.php?p=1952329#p1952329 ; with this it allows you to boot UEFI or legacy boot. that's pretty easy to use once setup as after it's installed to your USB stick you just use the USB stick like normal and if you want to put Windows on it for example you just copy/paste (or drag/drop) the ISO to the USB stick and once you reboot, and boot to the USB stick, you can select the ISO right from the main Ventoy menu and proceed to install the OS like usual. it's very simple. I mainly use this for Linux as it's probably the easiest way to make a multiboot USB stick that works on Win/Mint ISO's (even though it does have a Windows version to). for a single boot Win10 USB stick if your currently making a Win10 bootable USB stick on Windows itself, Rufus (i.e. https://rufus.ie/ ) seems to be what many like.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce

Return to “Beginner Questions”