Strange lines on boot attempt

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sisyphus
Level 1
Level 1

Strange lines on boot attempt

Post by Sisyphus »

Noobie here

Trying to boot mint from a liveUSB stick used etcher to flash the stick,I get to the main selection screen or title screen after selecting the USB stick in bios but then it goes straight to the attached pictures screen and stays untill reset,it varies in colors but is always the same style.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... kGt1Vtu6dT
Please help as am brand new to Linux and am excited to get started.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Strange lines on boot attempt

Post by AndyMH »

I'm not about to create a google drive account to view your images. Might be better to post on a site like imgur. You can also use the rimg tags to display the image in your message.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Strange lines on boot attempt

Post by zcot »

Hi Sisyphus, Welcome.

the google drive link requires a request for access, which is an unnecessary hurdle.

Anyhow, I will sometimes see a weird graphical screen, artifacts showing some part of the random memory of what was on the graphics card, which is nothing, but sometimes it will have a checkerboard on a section, or a section of smeared colored lines. This only lasts for a split second and sometimes happens during a normal boot. But you might be seeing the same time of affect, although obviously in your case, the system is hung up.

So aside from us being able to see the image you are talking about, when you say "main selection screen or title screen", what do you mean? Is it the GRUB screen? For example, following along with the installation guide here( https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/ ) are you getting this type of screen? : Image

In that case you should try the "compatibility mode" option. It will put the graphics driver into a generic mode for the install session. You would be able to fix that after install.

And it's the same thing if you are also getting to the Mint Logo screen right after making the selection here in the GRUB menu.

Return to “Beginner Questions”