Black screen after login on Cinnamon 20.1

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
turqoisehex
Level 2
Level 2

Black screen after login on Cinnamon 20.1

Post by turqoisehex »

I have a fairly fresh install of Mint on Virtualbox, and have had persistent but manageable graphics issues since install.

Host is Win 10, GTX 1070 graphics card. I just updated to the latest suggested kernel (5.4.0-74-generic) and, fool that I am, didn't make a backup/snapshot first. Now upon logging in, I get a black screen, no cursor, no response from hotkeys, like X has just died a sad, quiet death. Selecting default or software rendering makes no difference, though ctrl+alt+f1 does bring me to a terminal.

Trying to pastebinit Xorg.0.log, but I get HTTP 405 error. I've included a screen cap of the last lines, let me know if more is useful or if there's a way to resolve the 405 error.
xorg.png
Untitled.png
If I select 5.4.0-73 in grub, I have no issues. Do I need to just indefinitely stick with this version?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Black screen after login on Cinnamon 20.1

Post by SMG »

turqoisehex wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:13 pmHost is Win 10, GTX 1070 graphics card.
If you take a look at the image you posted of the graphics information, you will notice your Nvidia card is not relevant to what graphics your VM uses. You are using the VM's graphics drivers. That is one difference between running Mint on bare metal and running it in a VM. That means the version of the VM and the settings you are using are important to troubleshooting an issue like this.

Since the 5.4.0-73 kernel is working for you, please boot to it and give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your VM/hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”