Fresh Mint install - moving /home from SSD to HDD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fentanyl_yoshi
Level 1
Level 1

Fresh Mint install - moving /home from SSD to HDD

Post by fentanyl_yoshi »

Hey y'all. Just installed Mint on my spare laptop as my first Linux experience since I was a kid. I was well-versed in Mint back then, but it's been a long time, and Windows 10 has broken my brain when it comes to problem-solving.

So, my laptop is dual-booted. Windows has about 130gb of my HDD, in case I ever need it, and Linux has my entire 128gb SSD plus about 800gb of my HDD, with 70gb leftover for a potential third OS. I installed Mint on the SSD, then once it was booting, I partitioned the HDD space as my Linux filesystem. Since when I installed it, the SSD was my only open partition, I was not able to switch the /home directory during installation, and I would like to do so now. Problem is, I have no idea how to make my OS refer to the copy of /home on the HDD natively. In other words, I have no idea how to change it so that files I place on my desktop are stored in my HDD.

If anyone could help my noob self out with this, it would be much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Fresh Mint install - moving /home from SSD to HDD

Post by gittiest personITW »

Welcome to the forums.

Take a look at this link:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/move-home-folder-ubuntu/
fentanyl_yoshi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fentanyl_yoshi »

gittiest personITW wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:37 pm Welcome to the forums.

Take a look at this link:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/move-home-folder-ubuntu/
Thank you so much!
fentanyl_yoshi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fentanyl_yoshi »

Well, now I've gotten myself into another issue. Placing files on my desktop now stores them on my HDD, however, when I click the "home" icon on the desktop, no folders appear within, even though when I click the "Downloads" folder on the sidebar, it places me within a folder that exists in /home. But it's not there when I go back. Also, if I make a new folder/file in /home, navigate away, and then navigate back, the folder/file disappears. Every time. Checking "Show hidden files" shows two folders, .config and .private.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Did you drag the files to your desktop
or
right click/make link then drag the link to your desktop?

Return to “Beginner Questions”