[solved] Number of user accounts?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 4
Level 4

[solved] Number of user accounts?

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

Hi Folks,

This seemed like a good place to put this. Back in the old (Windows) days I often had multiple accounts on my system: 1 admin and 1 user. Sometimes even multiple users when LOTS of compartmentalizing was needed. In all cases, I was the only physical person using my systems. And now that I'm using linux I figured the same scheme would be useful.

Over the past few months I've started doing stuff that often keep requiring me to "sudo" things and adding my "standard" user account to the sudo list (or other special permissions) would seem to defeat the purpose of having multiple accounts.

Any major traps/dangers to watch for if I just trash the non-admin accounts and run as a straight administrator? And keep in mind this is for a single (person) desktop, not a server or multi-person setup.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Number of user accounts?

Post by Pjotr »

No need for a separate account with reduced permissions, as in the *buntus and all what's built on that (like Linux Mint), even the administrator logs in with limited user permissions (he needs sudo for elevating his permissions).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Number of user accounts?

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

Tank you sir

Return to “Beginner Questions”