Install, DualBoot, Virtualization Question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crazyboz
Level 1
Level 1

Install, DualBoot, Virtualization Question

Post by crazyboz »

Hi all my Original Thread was hijacked but i did get some answers but i need more specific answers

i have dell inspirion 15 7000 gaming laptop 64bit with 24gb ram and 1tb Hdd windows 10

im buying a ssd to install 1tb and was considering putting Linux mint 20 on one 500 gb partition keeping other 500gbs for downloads etc from both OS
im not sure on 500gb ssd with linux mint installed how much to put in root and how much in home and how much in swap,
i will be learning linux but will also be doing video editing, photo editing, webcaming, streaming, and some gaming...

I dont know whether to dual boot with windows 10 or to use virtualization which i cant see because any games i want to use also run on windows and i want windows 10 resources to be limited or low as they are with linux. also with virtualization i dont have to reboot the pc but again im still loading and using windows resources that arent needed..

now i do have linux mint 20 on live usb with bootloader
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Install, DualBoot, Virtualization Question

Post by RIH »

im not sure on 500gb ssd with linux mint installed how much to put in root and how much in home and how much in swap,
The most space saving way is to just make 1 partition & not bother with a separate partition for /Home.
You certainly don't need to bother with a partition for swap anymore - Mint will use a swap file.

To use virtualisation or dual boot is really a choice only you can make depending on how you wish to use the system in the future.

If you want to constantly swap between Windows & Mint then virtualisation makes a great deal more sense.

If you need the full resources of your computer to run your games then, realistically that will mean running Mint as a guest on Windows.
However, you certainly lose a great deal of the built in security that Linux provides by not having Mint as the host & Windows as the guest.

If you sometimes want to use just Mint & sometimes just want to use Windows, then dual booting is a far better way forward.

You could, as a trial, try running a Mint guest on your current Windows system. If that doesn't satisfy your needs then it is easy enough to set up a dual boot system in the future..
crazyboz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install, DualBoot, Virtualization Question

Post by crazyboz »

hi guys and thankx for the advice im thinking about getting the 1tb ssd and using 500 gbs of it all for linux which should be more than enough and use the other 500 gbs for mixed storage

Return to “Beginner Questions”