[SOLVED] Should I install LM 19 or 20?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tellymandeus
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Should I install LM 19 or 20?

Post by tellymandeus »

HI,

I've always been a bit confused about this, finally I am getting round to asking:

I'm buying a used WIndows gaming PC tonight (see my other thread for why: basically my laptop can't cope with my teleworking...), and I'm going to install LM (cinnamon) on it, but which version? Here's my current (parlous) understanding:

A) LM19(.3) is LTS so I won't have to re-install until 2023
B) LM20 will have more up to date features BUT I will need to re-install sooner (when?)

Do I understand that correctly?

EDIT: oops LM20 seems to be LTS too....

thanks for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Me: a non-techie Linux enthusiast running LM20.1 64-bit Cinnamon on a 2017 gamer pc I bought used...
Linux is like riding a bicycle: it's slightly more effort, but ultimately much more satisfying.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Should I install LM 19 or 20?

Post by sleeper12 »

No, LM 20 is supported until 2025. Test Mint 20.1 in a live session before you install it to be sure everything works for you.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

You are, sort of, right in a way, tellymandeus.. :D

Mint 19.x is now on version 19.3 & there will be no further developments on it, only updates until it goes end of life in 2023.
Mint 20.x is still under development/improvement. Its current latest version is Mint 20.1, however as the year(s) roll on that will be replaced by Mint 20.2 (sometime this year) & then Mint 20.3 (probably next year/late this year).
However a user is under no compulsion to upgrade from 20.0 to 20.1 (& so on) as the complete 20.x version will be supported with updates until its' end of life in 2025.
Upgrading within a series (i.e. the 20.x series) is easy to do & does not require a new install as a system upgrade will handle it easily.
As always, it is prudent to backup personal data before you do this, but I have managed to move through Mint 17.x, 18.x, 19.x & 20.x (so far) flawlessly using this method.
In theory, it is possible to get the system to upgrade from one series to the next (e.g. 19.3 to 20.0) & the Mint team always issue 'How to' instructions in order to do that. However, personally, I have never done that & always installed the new series from a new iso. (There are ways to ensure that many of your personal settings are then re-installed on your new installation, but that does require some manual work by the user).
My thought is that it is no bad idea to wipe the system completely clean from time to time & wipe away the old.
It also gives me an opportunity (admittedly sometimes forced by Mint/Ubuntu) to examine if my old normal ways of working need a bit of updating themselves.. :D
tellymandeus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tellymandeus »

thanks, yes for some reason I thought if 19 is LTS then 20 wouldn't be, but I just readign the release notes and saw I am wrong...

that's a good point tho, i will be sure to have a play around in the live session before I install....

thanks!
Me: a non-techie Linux enthusiast running LM20.1 64-bit Cinnamon on a 2017 gamer pc I bought used...
Linux is like riding a bicycle: it's slightly more effort, but ultimately much more satisfying.
tellymandeus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tellymandeus »

RIH wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:40 pm You are, sort of, right in a way, tellymandeus.. :D
My thought is that it is no bad idea to wipe the system completely clean from time to time & wipe away the old.
It also gives me an opportunity (admittedly sometimes forced by Mint/Ubuntu) to examine if my old normal ways of working need a bit of updating themselves.. :D
thanks, yes I can see the value of that, it also keeps me used to the install process which means I don't fear it so much if something goes wrong!
tellymandeus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Should I install LM 19 or 20?

Post by tellymandeus »

thanks for the help! LM20.1 safely* installed.

*there were hiccups, it's been a long day, but it does all seem to be working now.....
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [SOLVED] Should I install LM 19 or 20?

Post by jimallyn »

Mint has only been doing LTS versions for several years now.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Beginner Questions”