Honey I've shrunk the menus!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paddys-hill
Level 1
Level 1
Location: All over the Adelaide Hills and Fleurio region of South Australia

Honey I've shrunk the menus!

Post by paddys-hill »

Somehow in poking around and learning new stuff, I have somehow shrunk the font on the panel menu. I mean really shrunk it. I cannot find one so is there a setting application to change the menu font? Or a setting file somewhere?

tia
bb
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-06-18 14-11-35.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Paddys-Hill Co-op co-ordinator & sysadmin
Acer Aspire A315-21G (AMD A9-9420 RADEON R5) running 5.11.0-22-generic
Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa DE:Cinnamon 4.8.6 WM: muffin 4.8.1 DM: LightDM 1.30.0
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Honey I've shrunk the menus!

Post by spamegg »

Changing the "Default Font" option under Menu/Font Selection should affect the Menu.
You should tell us what you did, though. Do you remember what you did? You should always write down settings you changed before you change them.
paddys-hill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paddys-hill »

Do you remember what you did?
Absolutely not! :!: Otherwise I'd not ask.
You should always write down settings you changed before you change them.
What! You mean I have to go out and buy a pencil?

Seriously. I tried your hint but that changed everything but the menu. :(
It's very sad really because I was so close to having this user environment tied down and want to move on to viewtopic.php?p=2028080#p2028080

cheers
Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa DE:Cinnamon 4.8.6 WM: muffin 4.8.1 DM: LightDM 1.30.0
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

I don't know about other desktops, but on LM20.1 Cinnamon, right-click on Menu on the panel -> Configure -> Menu gives you the ability to change font size.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

What! You mean I have to go out and buy a pencil?
I have a launcher on the desktop pointing at a simple text file. Whenever I change something I make a timestamped note of it.

Whenever you screw something up you should have a backup to restore to a known working system. Timeshift helps for the system, your case - somewhere you have changed a config setting - timeshift won't help unless you enabled saving hidden files in home. So you should also have a backup of home as well. I use backintime, there are others. Message is - don't mess with your 'production' system unless you have backups.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
paddys-hill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paddys-hill »

I don't know about other desktops, but on LM20.1 Cinnamon, right-click on Menu on the panel -> Configure -> Menu gives you the ability to change font size.
I don't see anything about fonts there?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-06-20 14-31-29.png
Fizz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Fizz »

Did you change the Theme lately? Those may have some control over font-sizes.

Otherwise, under System Settings you can check the Font Selection values. You could also check the Panel settings, though i'm not sure that affects the Menu.

-Fizz

Return to “Beginner Questions”