[SOLVED] suspicious/weird updates descriptions?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HuginnMuninn
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] suspicious/weird updates descriptions?

Post by HuginnMuninn »

Hi,
I've been using different linux distros for almost 13 years now but I'm no techie.
So forgive my seemingly naive question, it is just an observation.
Why do some updates' descriptions in the Update Manager are written in a such in informal manner that it made me (a non-expert person) feel uncomfortable to click the update.
I don't mean to criticize anyone specifically at all, but here a description written in the update manager:
"Library for storing and retrieving passwords and other secrets. It communicates with the "Secret Service" using DBus."
What does that mean?!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please be informed that English isn't my first language. So go easy on me please :D

Linux Mint 20.3 Una 64-bit
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: suspicious/weird updates descriptions?

Post by Pjotr »

HuginnMuninn wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:26 am
"Library for storing and retrieving passwords and other secrets. It communicates with the "Secret Service" using DBus."
What does that mean?!
It means that everything you do is being monitored by the North Korean Secret Service. Beware! :lol:

Seriously: no idea. Probably just another example of nerd humor, like "swappiness" etc.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
HuginnMuninn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HuginnMuninn »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:31 am
HuginnMuninn wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:26 am
What does that mean?!
It means that everything you do is being monitored by the North Korean Secret Service. Beware! :lol:

Seriously: no idea. Probably just another example of nerd humor, like "swappiness" etc.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok got it now :oops: sorry just thought I'd give my observation about it. Software developers that some people might not get such humor especially in places like updates that help secure systems and machines....I'm really embarrassed and don't want to sound like I'm criticizing anyone but I wish that my observations reach those who write that it would help if things are written formally, you know, some people around the world take securing their OSs a little seriously than usual...
Last edited by HuginnMuninn on Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please be informed that English isn't my first language. So go easy on me please :D

RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I don't think that you can put the blame of the Mint team in this case.
The process in question was libsecret, which is part of Gnome.
The description is a direct copy from the Gnome Developer page description.
https://developer.gnome.org/libsecret/
Which is probably, exactly as Pjotr suggests, slight nerd humour.. :D
The project page gives a slighly longer, better & less humorous description..
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Libsecret
libsecret is a library for storing and retrieving passwords and other secrets. It communicates with the "Secret Service" using D-Bus. gnome-keyring and ksecretservice are both implementations of a Secret Service.
HuginnMuninn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HuginnMuninn »

RIH wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:44 am I don't think that you can put the blame of the Mint team in this case.
The process in question was libsecret, which is part of Gnome.
The description is a direct copy from the Gnome Developer page description.
https://developer.gnome.org/libsecret/
Which is probably, exactly as Pjotr suggests, slight nerd humour.. :D
The project page gives a slighly longer, better & less humorous description..
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Libsecret
libsecret is a library for storing and retrieving passwords and other secrets. It communicates with the "Secret Service" using D-Bus. gnome-keyring and ksecretservice are both implementations of a Secret Service.
Yeah, no I didn't mean Mint Team at all. Just developers who write these things. Even though I'm not a techie, I understood that the writers aren't the Mint team themselves.

HuginnMuninn
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] suspicious/weird updates descriptions?

Post by HuginnMuninn »

Okay, just a side-question:

Is it possible that malicious software to be put in the updates? :oops:

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

HuginnMuninn wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:51 am Okay, just a side-question:

The updates come from the software sources that you've enabled in your system. The default software sources are the official sources whose content is being monitored and controlled solely by the developers from Ubuntu and Mint. They're pretty trustworthy. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
HuginnMuninn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HuginnMuninn »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:00 am
HuginnMuninn wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:51 am Okay, just a side-question:

The updates come from the software sources that you've enabled in your system. The default software sources are the official sources whose content is being monitored and controlled solely by the developers from Ubuntu and Mint. They're pretty trustworthy. :wink:
Cool, ok. Now I understand more. Thanks :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”