I'm a newbie!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jim2kmol
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a newbie!

Post by jim2kmol »

Hi! I'm a newbie in the world of Linux. I am wondering if what distro is the most compatible with my old laptop? The specs are:
Processor: AMD A8 7410
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 1TB

Hope you can help me! Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: I'm a newbie!

Post by manyroads »

Use the distro you like best.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's not that old. If you're a newbie you should use a beginner friendly distro, which isn't universal. Mint and Ubuntu are the ones I'd recommend to newbies. ALways look at the support forum for a distro first, many smaller distros have terrible ones and you'll need it. Though the MX forums look pretty good.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jim2kmol
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jim2kmol »

Hey thanks for the help! I'm actually thinking about installing Mint or Linux Lite. BTW, with those specs, if I chose Mint, installing and using Cinnamon will be ok, right? I mean, it will run alright with no major problems? Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

From what I can see, it should run fine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Welcome to the best forum on the net.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

jim2kmol wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:20 am Hi! I'm a newbie in the world of Linux. I am wondering if what distro is the most compatible with my old laptop? The specs are:
Processor: AMD A8 7410
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 1TB

Hope you can help me! Thanks!
If you look under your laptop ( turn it over) you might see a sticker that could give the model info. Plugging that model info into an internet search will probably give you a link to the Manufacturer's site and provide you with much more info about it.

More info about your device = you are more empowered to make better decision about either distro's or especially troubleshooting later on the line

Finally just a reasonable tip for ya when that troubleshooting time arrives, try remembering to post the results of this command from a Terminal Window

inxi -Fxxxrz

And yes you can copy and paste it. This will provide much info ( none ...of which is personally identifiable information..so you can relax there :D ) for those you'll ask help from.

Cheers :)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
sjmathis
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sjmathis »

Plugging 7410 into the search bar of this forum shows 185 hits, which suggests that there many people running Mint with hardware like yours, since I assume that most folks on this forum are running Mint. As Motoryzen suggests, being more specific about your hardware might give you even more info about how your laptop will run Mint, however I'd guess you would be happy running Mint.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

For what it's worth, your CPU is about twice as fast as mine. We have the same amount of RAM, and I'm using an SSD for storage - you don't indicate if your storage is the same, but I'll assume so.

I have no problems running Mint Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”