Mouse selection jumps, disappears, moves things

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
adjectiveNoun
Level 1
Level 1

Mouse selection jumps, disappears, moves things

Post by adjectiveNoun »

Hello. I am a new user of LM Cinnamon 20. So far the performance is great, but the various selection "features" make it impossible to work with written text.

Examples include: (^ denoting the cursor)

Assuming the selection starts as marked by ^:
Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing^ and typesetting industry.

After moving the cursor left, the desired selection outcome is:
Lorem Ipsum is ^simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry.

Most of the time the outcome is:
Lorem Ipsum is ^simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry.

It seems that the slightest upward or downward motion resets the selection caret.

In some instances the selection decides to move some part of the text instead, resulting in mangled text:
Lorem Ipsum is ^xt of the printinsimply dummy teg and typesetting industry.

If the cursor remains motionless mid-press in whitespace for a second or so, the whole selection may deselect randomly.

Those behaviors make it impossible to work with any text or code. Editing this post itself was a PITA. Please point me to places where I can disable those things. The only thing I want the selection to do, is to select text between where it began and wherever the cursor is.

The actual mouse device is not the issue. I'm booting two systems, the other one being Windows 10 where the issue doesn't occur.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mouse selection jumps, disappears, moves things

Post by SMG »

Welcome to the forum, adjectiveNoun.

Are you using Fractional Scaling for your screen/monitor?

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”