system passwords

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enigma25
Level 1
Level 1

system passwords

Post by enigma25 »

hi, why does the password I use to log on the forum does not work to authenticate ?? Synaptic window
enigma25
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: system passwords

Post by rene »

For basically the same reason as why your Facebook password does not work in Synaptic. Or your Amazon password. Or...

Ie, these things have nothing to do with each other. When you installed the system you supplied a password for the initial user; that is the password you need.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

enigma25 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:22 am hi, why does the password I use to log on the forum does not work to authenticate ?? Synaptic window
enigma25
Is this some sort of a joke? :?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Wondered the same thing, but in these days of e.g. Microsoft doing its utmost to blur the lines between local and online "Microsoft accounts" in Windows, in fact conceivably not.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:34 am
enigma25 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:22 am hi, why does the password I use to log on the forum does not work to authenticate ?? Synaptic window
enigma25
If so it's not very good.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
enigma25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by enigma25 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:58 am
Pjotr wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:34 am
enigma25
If so it's not very good.
Thank you for thinking it might be a joke!!!!!!!!!!
Only managed to install linux for the first time ( Newbie) and have a problem with authenticate and you think it is a joke ??
Thanks for nothing.
enigma25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by enigma25 »

rene wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:30 am For basically the same reason as why your Facebook password does not work in Synaptic. Or your Amazon password. Or...

Ie, these things have nothing to do with each other. When you installed the system you supplied a password for the initial user; that is the password you need.
Thank you for your answser, will try that and see what happens.
Those things take place when being a newbie and not conversant with some things.
enigma25
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

enigma25 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:02 pm Thank you for thinking it might be a joke!!!!!!!!!!
Only managed to install linux for the first time ( Newbie) and have a problem with authenticate and you think it is a joke ??
Thanks for nothing.
You misunderstood. They're asking whether it's a joke, which in itself doesn't inherently mean that they think it's a joke. Also, it's so outlandish a question that it's perfectly understandable, at least IMO, to consider that and ask whether it is a joke.

Long story short: not everyone is out to get you. ;)
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
enigma25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by enigma25 »

Termy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:52 pm
enigma25 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:02 pm Thank you for thinking it might be a joke!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for nothing.
You misunderstood. They're asking whether it's a joke, which in itself doesn't inherently mean that they think it's a joke. Also, it's so outlandish a question that it's perfectly understandable, at least IMO, to consider that and ask whether it is a joke.

Long story short: not everyone is out to get you. ;)
As a newbie who never used linux before let alone install it, I would have thought that if one has problems with linux it would a good idea to ask on a linux forum, apperantly Not, I don't consider it an outlandish question. when installing the program I was asked for a password, wrote it down and then inserted it the box. When finished went to my email ad and clicked on the link sent by linux, so thought I was ok. but no when password was required typed it in and got spat out. So went forgot password and was sent a new one, authentitated it and was all good.
Now when booting up the linux , first thing which pops up is password, so used both, the initial one and one provided by linux and both were classed invalid.
I know very little but am aware that probably the best thing is to format the h/d and start all over again, maybe best so I don't ask outlandish questions.
I wonder whether some of you knew everything before starting out ?
I for one am not asking to either waste my time nor yours.
Thank you for your time.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

enigma25 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:48 pm I wonder whether some of you knew everything before starting out ?
Nah, I understand that not everybody starts out knowing everything. I was practically clueless when I started out. I think you're taking this as a personal attack, when it's considerably not. :)

This is not Windows, there is no online account you use to access your local (files not stored online) machine; they're very separate in Linux, so this support forum is an entirely different account than you create on your computer. This information was actually already provided to you in this thread, but I get the impression you focused so much on the 'joke' thing that you didn't notice it — oops.

Either way, I hope you get things sorted and that things are a bit clearer now.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Sup in here?

beating up the new guy?

good job guys. :shock:

Hi enigma25, Welcome. Just to let you know, these aren't the typical types of responses you will find in here. :wink:

-usually about the only kind of response you will find will be something helpful in regards to moving the question/answer forward.

anyway, Welcome.
enigma25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by enigma25 »

zcot wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:43 pm Sup in here?

beating up the new guy?

good job guys. :shock:

Hi enigma25, Welcome. Just to let you know, these aren't the typical types of responses you will find in here. :wink:

-usually about the only kind of response you will find will be something helpful in regards to moving the question/answer forward.

anyway, Welcome.
Thank you for your kind words.
Any way I won't be taken up any one's time anymore, I can't access linux, tried to format the disk to start again, no show, disk shows up in device manager, also in boot sequence but not under computer, so can't format. So just have stick with windows :twisted:
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

You are welcome, stop by any time.

Also, just so you are aware, in case you ever wanted to pursue it, you wouldn't be able to format the Mint partition from Windows because Windows does not read ext4 partitions, so that is why you don't see it. You would boot the Mint live USB, and there are tools there to do that stuff.
YoungElder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by YoungElder »

"One password to rule them all."

If we get to the point that local and web accounts have by default one password then God save us!
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

Is it possible that you are confusing the system login password with a password you used when you created an account with the Mint forum. Your log-in password is used internally in your Mint operating system. Any other password is (most likely) one created for an Internet site and used externally to the Mint system. When booting up Mint the password used to log in is the one to use on Synaptic. You can consider Mint and its repositories a closed system using the same password.
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

enigma25
The response "is it a joke?" most probably because the question did not seem to make sense.

Your system, Linux Mint has a password to start it during bootup unless you ticked a box and asked it not to require the password to be used. Sleep will require that password to get out of it unless you tell it not to.

This forum requires a password. What you use is up to you but does not have to be the same as the Linux System password. Your email, Facebook, etc. etc. will all require passwords which you will have to install, they won't be there by default until you log in and tell it what the password will be. Firefox will save those passwords unless you tell it not to. Note - it will not store your Linux System's password.

Synaptic window - Windows? That's not Linux. That means any Windows password will not cross index to Linux. You could use the same one but you have to tell things what the password is as there is no cross correlation.

"enigma25" - what is that? Ohhh, I see, it is your user name. A lack of full stops makes one question what the question is at times..
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Note; this thread died three months ago...
YoungElder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by YoungElder »

rene wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:10 am Note; this thread died three months ago...
This thread died???
Many people find solutions on "dead threads" even years after the topic was created. And we are talking of a thread just a few months back that Mint has not changed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Yes, but the two people just before me replied in a direct and practical manner that likely implies they hadn't noticed original poster being long gone; I as a service indicated such. Generally moderators here consider a non-OP and not directly helpful post into a 3-month dormant thread at the very least close to "necroposting" and lock the thread --- even if only to keep responders that do intend to be directly/practically helpful from posting their good intentions into the void. Which is then the precise thing I here did with a warning only.

Return to “Beginner Questions”