Copying files from timeshift folder

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SuperJoker
Level 1
Level 1

Copying files from timeshift folder

Post by SuperJoker »

I have done something that I think it's propably right but I would like this to be confirmed by more experienced users.
First of all I have set timeshift to backup the hidden files and folders of home.
I was playing with settings of apps till I got to the point that I messed things a lot. In order to get back to the point of my desired config I didn't do a timeshift restore, but I copied the .config app folders from the timeshift backup to the .config of home. It works without problems two days now, but I would like to get a confirmation that nothing strange will happen later. I am actually worried a little of files-folders permissions.
It's not any emergency and after all I can always do a real timeshift restore but I want to know if I what I did it's right.
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Copying files from timeshift folder

Post by gittiest personITW »

Welcome to the forums.

You shouldn't copy them manually unless you are in a complete pickle.
The reason being is that some of the files might be just links to other backups rather than files.
I would be tempted to do a restore from a backup from a snapshot made before the time that the files were copied over.
MAlfare

Post by MAlfare »

gittiest personITW wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:19 pm You shouldn't copy them manually unless you are in a complete pickle.
The reason being is that some of the files might be just links to other backups rather than files.
You are wrong!
Because you always will copy the FILE, the HARD-LINK is pointing to.
Each TimeShift SnapShot is a complete copy of all the files in it, even if unchanged files are represented by hardlinks.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Yes, my mistake. Thanks for picking it up.

You may need to change permissions from root to user though. Run the following command to see if you do.

Code: Select all

cd $HOME; sudo find . ! -user $USER
SuperJoker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SuperJoker »

One of the first thing I checked was how timeshift works. The term "incremental backup" at first made me think of shortcuts and that I did should be applied only for the first snapshot, but then I read about hard links which actually eliminate the term "incremental".

I checked permissions. Everything looks fine.

Return to “Beginner Questions”