Bootable Usb questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oneoffaccount
Level 1
Level 1

Bootable Usb questions

Post by oneoffaccount »

I'm new to setting up linux and have a couple of questions for anyone that can help.

I made a mint linux bootable usb following these directions:
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... tributions

It boots up great, but I'm confused by a couple of things that aren't working out for me.

1. It seems like it automatically made a lot of mount points, and it made /cdrom very small. But it looks like that is were it is putting installed items. I quickly filled it up with items I installed such as node, angular cli, vscode, etc. It looks like it put most of the space under /var/log for some reason, which isn't very helpful. I've attached a pic of what I'm seeing.

I would be fine with all the space in just one mount point (such as everything being under /) that I use for everything. Is there a way that I can do this?

2. When I rebooted the machine I wasn't able to use any of my apps I installed. npm, ng, code, etc just say "Command not found". It also didn't save my wifi connection. Did everything get wiped out? Or do I need to do something so the commands work again?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Attachments
volumes.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Bootable Usb questions

Post by spamegg »

You would need to make a Persistent Live Storage USB which is different than the usual USB installer procedure (burn ISO onto USB). I'm not sure how to do that but there are some guides on the web.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I've never used the USB Image Writer tool so can't comment. For over a decade I've used various other tools, and they all create different boot sequences and screens, some quicker or slower than others.

These days I'm using MkUSB, as described in the link below. More importantly, that link also describes "persistent" storage which you don't seem to have created with your bootable drive. Without persistance, any software installs or system changes (e.g. via Settings manager) will be lost whenever you shut down and reboot. Generally I use a 16GB thumb drive and create about 6GB of persistence via the MkUSB installer settings - note that this will take a lot longer than simply creating a bootable Mint drive without persistence, creating a big storage container on the drive:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/c ... ash-drive/

Another installer, Unetbootin, also works on Mint and creates persistence - there may be more. In my experience these bootable drive installations can last several months of regular use, but eventually bork for one reason or another. To keep them going, disable the software updater and avoid any large system updates. Update software like browsers selectively and reboot immediately after the installation. (I also use Bleachbit cleaner to purge junk install files from the limited persistent storage - it will normally remove up to a GB of temp, etc files right after first system install or third-party software updates.) Hope this is helpful.
Last edited by I2k4 on Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Yes, start fresh and create a persistent USB stick, which you will have to Google. It is different than just a live USB stick.

Return to “Beginner Questions”