What is "Nomodeset"?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ricardogroetaers
Level 5
Level 5

What is "Nomodeset"?

Post by ricardogroetaers »

What is "Nomodeset"?
I see this term in several instructions.
I have no idea what this is, what is it for, what does it do, what does it configure?

I appreciate any explanation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: What is "Nomodeset"?

Post by xenopeek »

It disables the kernel from setting native resolution video mode early during boot, the so called kernel mode setting (KMS). KMS makes it so the video mode is set only once during boot giving you a flicker free boot. With KMS disabled the video mode will likely be changed multiple times during boot and also when you switch to a virtual console. Some graphics cards have such poor open source drivers that KMS might not work correctly. So you'd need to (temporarily) disable KMS with nomodeset and install the closed source drivers for your graphics cards to hopefully get better Linux support. See old topic viewtopic.php?t=200884 for some longer answer.
ricardogroetaers
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What is "Nomodeset"?

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Thanks, I understood a little bit.