Driver Manager can't connect to the Internet?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
williamsk000
Level 1
Level 1

Driver Manager can't connect to the Internet?

Post by williamsk000 »

The last two times I've installed Mint 20.1 (Cinnamon) on this computer, I have had this issue where Driver Manager will not let me install anything. The System Reports app tells me that Hardware drivers are available for my GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, but when I launch Driver Manager (from there or from the menu either one), it just says "Please connect to the Internet or insert the Linux Mint installation DVD".

Obviously, the Internet is working fine (I'm writing this in Firefox on the machine right now and other Mint apps are accessing the Internet just fine) so I don't know why Driver Manager won't work. I don't have any proxy servers or anything weird about my network configuration - it's just an ethernet cable connected directly to my router. I don't even know where to begin debugging this - please help!?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Driver Manager can't connect to the Internet?

Post by Moonstone Man »

williamsk000 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:49 pm Obviously, the Internet is working fine ...
Actually, it might not be.

Start Update Manager and select Software Sources from the Edit menu. Select local mirrors for the Main and Base.

It's likely that you have a bad route to the server you are trying to connect to.
williamsk000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by williamsk000 »

It's likely that you have a bad route to the server you are trying to connect to.
Doesn't look like it. I'm able to update just fine and install new software from software manager just fine. It's only Driver Manager having the issue.

I did finally get my drivers installed by using:

Code: Select all

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
But I'm not sure if updated drivers will show up in Driver Manager or not going forward.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

williamsk000 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:49 pm The last two times I've installed Mint 20.1 (Cinnamon) on this computer, I have had this issue where Driver Manager will not let me install anything.
Driver Manager connects to a database on the other end to compare what is on your system to what is in the database. There have been times multiple people have had messages either not connecting or saying a driver was not available (which was not the case). Threads like that seem to pop up once in a while on the forum. I usually advise people to wait and try again another time.

Do make sure you have all the latest updates for Driver Manager installed.

Were you having specific issues that you installed LM20.1 multiple times on the same computer?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
williamsk000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by williamsk000 »

Multiple installs because of various issues that I never managed to diagnose...

Once, my network completely stopped working one day and nothing I tried would fix it. Booting from the live USB stick network would work fine, so I knew it was something about my install. And booting into Windows, it worked fine. But not in my Mint install. Unfortunately, I did not have Timeshift enabled so - I just re-installed.

The last time it was because it just stopped booting into the desktop environment. I never found anything useful in logs or dmesg. I could get it to boot in recovery mode and could use startx from a console terminal to get the DE running fine, but then I would have no networking. Again - no Timeshift, so I ended up re-installing.

Both of those installs had this issue with Driver Manager too. This time, I DO have Timeshift enabled and I am doing on-demand backups regularly when I change things. So hopefully if (when?) something breaks this time, I will have a backup available instead of needing to re-install. :)

The nVidia driver is working fine after installing with ubuntu-drivers and Device Manager even sees it now. :shrug:

Return to “Beginner Questions”