Remove information before disposing of laptop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kit_Carmelite
Level 1
Level 1

Remove information before disposing of laptop

Post by Kit_Carmelite »

I am returning my laptop to Best Buy for a replacement. I had wiped Windows and replaced it with Linux Mint. I want to remove any personal information from it first. What is the best way to do that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Remove information before disposing of laptop

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Make a bootable USB stick with GParted.

https://gparted.org/
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I would restore the system image of win10 that I would have taken before wiping it and installing mint. You did do that didn't you?

If, as I suspect you didn't, so you can return the laptop in a similar state to as it was supplied, I would download a win10 iso, burn it to a stick (don't believe mint's usb image writer works for win10 isos, so you will have to use something else) and install win10. It should recognise it has a valid licence.

If you are really paranoid, in a terminal sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdXY, where sdXY is your mint / partition (assuming you don't have a separate /home partition. Replace XY with the drive letter and partition number, e.g. if booting UEFI probably sda2. This will overwrite everything in the partition with zeros rendering it completely unbootable from the point you hit the return key. Depending on the size of the partition, it could take a long time.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Best Buy might not take the PC back if you do not restore Windows to the system. Should be very easy to reinstall Windows.

Return to “Beginner Questions”