trying to figure this out windows vs Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crazyboz
Level 1
Level 1

trying to figure this out windows vs Linux

Post by crazyboz »

Hi again all

Trying to figure out which way to go dual boot, live usb or virtualization (with windows 10 host)

First the easy one running virtualbox with linux mint i know it uses windows resources but can you effectively test linux mint for games that way?
Does it use alot of resources for windows 10 ?

Second With both OS ive heard linux uses alot less resources then windows 10 and doesnt overheat new laptops like windows 10 does anyone know exactly how true that is? i mean windows 10 loads everything into memory whether you use it or not and therefore consumes resources...

Dual boot - with windows 10 on internal hdd 1tb and 1tb ssd for linux mint but ive heard that mint firefox writes so much to the ssd that it will wear it out faster?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: trying to figure this out windows vs Linux

Post by lsemmens »

A lot of misinformation there. Linux uses FAR fewer resources than Windows and does not swap out to disk nearly as much as Windows does. Tell us what games you wish to play and then we can advise the best path to follow. Typically, the best option is to run windows in a virtual machine for most things windows, or you could dual boot which is the method I use to update my bits of fruit (Apple products), helmet intercom, and security all of which have no true Linux equivalents. If you just want to try Linux before you "buy" (so to speak), you can just boot into a live session and play around without changing anything.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
crazyboz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crazyboz »

thanx for the reply, mostly i play wurm online, everquest, rust occassionally, shards of dalaya, and a few others

so if i put a 1tb ssd in my laptop (dell inspirion 15 7000 gaming) and use 500 gb for linux with 500 gb for files and such to use for both OS i should be fine and it wont tax the ssd like some online say. Ive read stories of firefox writing so much it can wreck ssd.

i use linux mint 20 in persistant lve usb but its bugged so the persistance doesnt take
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

crazyboz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:18 pm ... it wont tax the ssd like some online say....
People who tell you that are stuck in the dark ages. SSDs today have a life expectancy far exceeding that of most commercial HDDs.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

At work I run Linux inside VirtualBox running on Windows 10. It works OK, but I have a quad-core CPU and 32GB RAM. Certain tasks don't run that quickly and I would assume (but have no experience) that games wouldn't be great. However it's a great way to try out a system without installing it properly and is better than booting the LiveISO because you can still do stuff in Windows at the same time.

If you want to make the switch to using Linux more often, then I would dual-boot so you've still got Windows should you need it. I've been running multiple machines on SSD for many years now. Of course, they can fail, just as HDDs do. Regular Backups are the only solution, no matter the storage type.

After this stage, you wouldn't need to do anything about Windows, though one day you may realise that it's been years since you used it. :)
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

crazyboz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:58 pm Hi again all

Trying to figure out which way to go dual boot, live usb or virtualization (with windows 10 host)

First the easy one running virtualbox with linux mint i know it uses windows resources but can you effectively test linux mint for games that way?
Does it use alot of resources for windows 10 ?

Second With both OS ive heard linux uses alot less resources then windows 10 and doesnt overheat new laptops like windows 10 does anyone know exactly how true that is? i mean windows 10 loads everything into memory whether you use it or not and therefore consumes resources...

Dual boot - with windows 10 on internal hdd 1tb and 1tb ssd for linux mint but ive heard that mint firefox writes so much to the ssd that it will wear it out faster?

This is completely false. The difference between Windows 10 running at idle and Linux Mint Cinnamon running at idle is minimal. There is absolutely no difference on the CPU, so it will not affect your fan or your operating temperature. Also, the difference is mainly in RAM resources that are used, and there is only a minor difference.

viewtopic.php?t=319903
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

crazyboz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:18 pm thanx for the reply, mostly i play wurm online, everquest, rust occassionally, shards of dalaya, and a few others
Unfortunately, games like MMORPGs are a problem in Linux, because of anti-cheat mechanisms being far too aggressive in thinking Linux is a 'hack'. :roll: I'd love to play online games on Linux, but too many have been booted and even permanently banned from Steam. I have over 200 games on Steam, so I ain't riskin' that!

This problem is being worked on, however. It may even not be as bad as I last heard. I've not looked into it for a while.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

You are unlikely to get video games to run in a virtual machine, at least not in a usable way. A Linux VM is a fine web surfer and general use machine but if your activity requires a lot of processing power use a real machine. Any program that requires high gpu performance is especially problematic.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Reddog1 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:36 pm You are unlikely to get video games to run in a virtual machine, at least not in a usable way.
PCI Passthrough combats that very effectively, but apparently it's really difficult to set it all up, but when it works, it's like the perfect combination of (sandboxed) Windows for gaming and Linux for everything else, without actually having to install Windows on hardware.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Some applications are VM/Wine friendly and some have Linux versions. I had to run some Microsoft products for one project and dual boot was the only option that worked. Adding Linux to Windows as a dual boot is almost easy when you follow the right steps and avoid some defaults that create problems later.

Dual boot also lets you experiment with Linux in a VM on Windows and Windows in a VM on Linux and Windows applications in Wine on Linux. You can also start replacing Windows only applications on Windows with open source applications that run on both operating systems. What do you use on that computer outside of games?
crazyboz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crazyboz »

mostly on laptop i just game websurf stream broadcast webcam and view streams video editing and of course itunes lol
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:20 pm
crazyboz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:18 pm ... it wont tax the ssd like some online say....
People who tell you that are stuck in the dark ages. SSDs today have a life expectancy far exceeding that of most commercial HDDs.
Perfectly stated.

Now, @crazyboz - where did you read/hear that Mint Firefox has a problem with excessive writes? Even if that were true, it would affect every OS it ran on, not just Linux.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Firefox, on every OS, writes dozens of little status files for every request plus temp files. There is a setting in Firefox to put the temp stuff in memory and write the status files less often. For machines with more than 4 GB, the settings are useful.

In Linux, you can put the temp directories in RAM. All these tricks were developed years ago to make rusty disks faster. For SSD, it reduces writes which can stop heavily used SSDs from slowing down due to heat. It can also extend the life of cheap no brand SSDs.

You can set browser.sessionstore.interval to something 10 or 100 times bigger. The only difference will be the sessions restored if you happen to reboot while using Firefox.

Return to “Beginner Questions”