Sticky Notes as replacement for GNote - How?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Sticky Notes as replacement for GNote - How?

Post by AndyMH »

you can install gnote from software manager.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Arete
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Arete »

Perro Jackalope wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:02 pm Despite being a Mint fanboy, I really wish we had something like One Note in the MSFT world. Has anyone found something similar?
You might want to check out these articles:

https://www.slant.co/versus/2130/8768/~ ... ote_vs_zim

https://alternativeto.net/software/micr ... form=linux

I hope that helps!
Perro Jackalope
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Perro Jackalope »

Thank you Arete -
I bet Joplin will be my ticket. I'll try a few of those alternatives and see. :D
Arete
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Arete »

Perro Jackalope wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:36 am Thank you Arete -
I bet Joplin will be my ticket. I'll try a few of those alternatives and see. :D
You're welcome! I'm glad to be of help.

Originally I only looked at the top few apps, assuming that they got weaker from that point downward, but...

If you scroll way down the page (of the second article), you'll see that Xournal++ has some interesting capabilities, including stylus (handwriting) support and PDF annotation. It might be worth a look at well.

If you want to post a summary about your experience here (with the apps you try) it might help some others as well.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

Perro Jackalope wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:02 pm
fabrice91 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:48 am I just upgraded my LM 20.1 to 20.2 and I discover Sticky Note : try it few times...and go back to Gnote !!! It's insupportable to have a screen spammed with all notes !!!
I was just getting used to GNote and with Uma, now we're back to Sticky. I did figure out that you can clear the notes off the desktop by clicking the tray icon down near the clock. Another workaround I figured out was to just create a default folder with nothing in it and that would make them all disappear when you select that folder.

Despite being a Mint fanboy, I really wish we had something like One Note in the MSFT world. Has anyone found something similar?
You might take a look at Joplin, it's in the software repository (flatpak). I have been playing around with it and it looks promising.
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
PogoOnMint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PogoOnMint »

I'm a bit late to this, but...

I'd been using Evernote and Google Keep for note taking. Evernote kept nudging me to upgrade while I balanced trying to sync between my phone and my netbooks. When they decided that a web login was an extra device, I spat the dummy and went to Nimbus note, the main driver being that it would import my notes from Evernote. Which it did, mostly. I then laboriously copied my journal notes from Google Keep.
I now have rich notes that I can sync across any number of devices though Nimbus does not have a Linux version, it's web version works exactly like the desktop version.

I liked Tomboy notes, and in particular the ability to link notes. I was disappointed that sticky notes did not have this functionality, but I found Gnote. No graphics, but I can link to other notes and to web pages, which includes my Nimbus notes.

I had been playing with Xournal, but it didn't work as well as I hoped. I just tonight found Xournal++ and I am impressed. I particularly like that it recognised and correctly handled the touch screen and pen on my ASUS Zenbook. It might become my default note taker.

Peter.

Return to “Beginner Questions”