Computer upgrade - SSD & what else? [solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnlvs2run
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Computer upgrade - solid state drive & what else?

Post by johnlvs2run »

Rene,
I will definitely get the 3000g and DDR4-3200 as you recommend.
The Gigabyte V2 is the one that I saved, just abbreviated too much, and now it's on sale.
I'll take another look at these motherboards, pick the Gigabyte or Asus and then place my order.

Thank you again very much for your comments and keeping me on the right track.
lenovo T520 / 8gb ram / 240gb ssd / both systems with LM 20.x xfce & HannsG HW192 monitor
Amd Athlon 3000g / Asus Prime B450M mb / Earthwatts 80+ EA-380w psu / 2x8gb ddr4 3200 / 250gb adata ssd
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Certainly if you at the same time switch to an SSD as discussed early in thread you will supposedly find things significantly more spiffy than up to now used to. Note; be sure to enable XMP (or DOCP/EOCP if the board calls it that) in the BIOS to enable the higher memory speed.
johnlvs2run
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johnlvs2run »

I ordered the 3000g, Asus MB, and DDR4-3200 this afternoon.
So far I've received 10 emails from Newegg confirming the transaction!
I unplugged the CPU fan and the computer went from loud to quiet, so the PSU is not making much noise.
Then I adjusted the fan speed in the bios, which has helped quite a bit. When the parts arrive, which could take up to 30 days, I will update this thread with my progress. Thank you again very much for your help!
lenovo T520 / 8gb ram / 240gb ssd / both systems with LM 20.x xfce & HannsG HW192 monitor
Amd Athlon 3000g / Asus Prime B450M mb / Earthwatts 80+ EA-380w psu / 2x8gb ddr4 3200 / 250gb adata ssd
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I expect you won't need to fiddle with the CPU-fan speed with the Athlon 3000G stock cooler. That seems to be a 65W TDP "near silent" cooler anyway (for a 35W TDP chip). The Antec EA-380 should indeed also be fine; it's a rebranded Seasonic unit and while Seasonic certainly also produces "meh" PSUs getting an actively bad one from them is a fluke. With your power draw I'd moreover feel very free to replace its fan with something especially quiet and low-RPM should that want still arise.
johnlvs2run
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johnlvs2run »

That's good information to know. The Antec-EA380 has been functioning well for at least 15 years, is still working great and well deserving of having a new fan. These pico power supplies are interesting, but not worth the small savings.

Update: The memory arrived today, only 1 day after ordering! The CPU will take awhile though.
After lowering the fan speed yesterday, the PC has been very quiet and the highest CPU temp has been 106F (41C). However, the GPU has been up to 156F (69C), so that's the source of most of the heat.
solarbear
Level 2
Level 2

Post by solarbear »

that mobo can take a phenom ii x6 and those are pretty cheap. the 1055t (95w or 125w) models are the best bang for the buck and your biostar mobo can clock the chip up to 3.6+ ghz on all cores too (fsb multiplier technique) if you need a heavy hitting batch processor or something similar. also, your gt 210 is overheating 'cuz you are running two monitors on it ( all the pre-kepler nvidia cards did it), makes the thing shift to highest gear (mhz), your 380 watt antec prolly has one 6 pin power lead, that opens some options in the video card arena (something like an old amd 7770 would be swift), those things really take a load off the cpu and inject some pep into the usage.

8gb ram is thought to be plenty, but i run 8gb with swappiness set to 10, PC still swaps like a monkey choosing apples at Gibralter.
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

solarbear wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:16 am but i run 8gb with swappiness set to 10, PC still swaps like a monkey choosing apples at Gibralter.
Then, you can comment out the swap entries in /etc/fstab
(assuming you don't plan to consume more RAM than your RAM can handle)
BJZilberman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BJZilberman »

johnlvs2run wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:12 am That's good information to know. The Antec-EA380 has been functioning well for at least 15 years, is still working great and well deserving of having a new fan. These pico power supplies are interesting, but not worth the small savings.

Update: The memory arrived today, only 1 day after ordering! The CPU will take awhile though.
After lowering the fan speed yesterday, the PC has been very quiet and the highest CPU temp has been 106F (41C). However, the GPU has been up to 156F (69C), so that's the source of most of the heat.
70°C is relatively OK for a GPU. It's not optimal, but those are fairly normal running temps at the core.

Return to “Beginner Questions”