[SOLVED] any need to clean/ re-install LM19.2 after + 1 year

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: [SOLVED] any need to clean/ re-install LM19.2 after + 1 year

Post by Moonstone Man »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:28 am If you were meaning software then the question is why? Dust and dirt don't effect it...
So hoŸw do you expljèèain the àÇ dust in my firÄkefox?
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

as a former hardware techinician, be careful with the vacuum cleaner near sensitive electronics.
Many vacuums with their all plastic construction can build up static electricity.. and ESD damage may or may not be apparent at once - or may come back to cause trouble later

At work we got a ESD safe portable unit for such use:
https://www.antistatic-esd-solutions.co ... eaners.htm
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

ivar wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:46 am as a former hardware techinician, be careful with the vacuum cleaner near sensitive electronics.
Having been and still am a hardware technician for more than 60 years, hang on to the metalwork of the computer and around the sucking end of the vacuum cleaner if you are so worried.

And yes, I was cleaning out a very dusty computer yesterday, an HP.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

I always use a ground strap, wrist to chassis, when I do anything inside a computer case.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:28 am Cleaning? Absolutely, definitely, Yes.

Switch OFF, remove the power cable, take the cover off and with a good strong vacuum cleaner and brush, clean all of the dust out of fans and heat-sink grills. If compressed air is available possibly a better way of doing it.

If you were meaning software then the question is why? Dust and dirt don't effect it, it isn't windows which need cleaning often.
:) :)
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no longer needed.
sudo apt autoremove --purge

# Clear out the local repository of retrieved package files.
sudo apt-get clean

#rm -rfv ~/.cache/thumbnails
sync
sudo fstrim -va
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Petermint wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:33 pm

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no longer needed.
sudo apt autoremove --purge

# Clear out the local repository of retrieved package files.
sudo apt-get clean

#rm -rfv ~/.cache/thumbnails
sync
sudo fstrim -va
Is there a point to this post that hasn't been already mentioned by myself and others ???...You included 3 of the same commands i already provided...You have no explaination with your post as to why its posted redundantly to say nothing more than what is already mentioned in previous posts to this thread and The OP has already marked it solved...DAMIEN

What does your command of sudo fstrim -va do different, if at all, that my previously posted command of sudo fstrim -av doesnt already do ???
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:48 pm Is there a point to this post that hasn't been already mentioned by myself and others ???...
Sometimes people apparently think this forum is a write-only medium. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”