[SOLVED] any need to clean/ re-install LM19.2 after + 1 year

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] any need to clean/ re-install LM19.2 after + 1 year

Post by Pepper-Mint-Patty »

We wonder if there is any need to clean/ re-install LM19.2 after having used it for more then 1/2/3 years. Of course we always kept updating.
We remember something like that from the Windows days.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: any need to clean/ re-install LM19.2 after + 1 year

Post by Moem »

In one word, no. There is no need.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

If everything works fine, don't think about it. Only a dramatic drop in performance or recurrent crashes could justify a clean reinstall.
However, check your version's EoL. Maybe you'll have one day to use another version to benefit from security upgrades (my wife's computer runs 'Tricia' 19.3 and EoL is 04/2023. Perhaps Tina''s EoL is the same).
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Aztaroth wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:38 am Perhaps Tina''s EoL is the same.
It is. All 19.x versions lose support at the same time.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

FWIW, my Lenovo from 2015 runs better now than it did when I installed it 6 months ago.

as for cleaning, I'd think it may be wise to clean out old updates after running for a while..?
https://itsfoss.com/free-up-space-ubuntu-linux/
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Cleaning the system may not be needful. But I like the idea of keeping Mint clean here is a page that tells you how to do it safely.
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html
Enjoy!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I think the issue here is the Windows need to defrag the disk, which is not necessary in Linux. The ext4 file system used by Mint is a journaling system so it organizes itself much better than ntfs.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:42 am I think the issue here is the Windows need to defrag the disk, which is not necessary in Linux. The ext4 file system used by Mint is a journaling system so it organizes itself much better than ntfs.
I don't know how true it is, but one site I read said to only defrag EXT4 once it reaches 20% fragmentation. but I also heard as long as you have a fair amount of free space it's much less likely to get fragmented all that much in the first place.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

ThaCrip wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:47 am I don't know how true it is, but one site I read said to only defrag EXT4 once it reaches 20% fragmentation. but I also heard as long as you have a fair amount of free space it's much less likely to get fragmented all that much in the first place.
Not true. There is no need to ever defrag an EXT4 partition.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

Larry78723 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:56 am
ThaCrip wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:47 am I don't know how true it is, but one site I read said to only defrag EXT4 once it reaches 20% fragmentation. but I also heard as long as you have a fair amount of free space it's much less likely to get fragmented all that much in the first place.
Technically speaking, one "should" defragment an ext4 filesystem after it's been running at 90%+ of its capacity for some time (and no, a one-off "this log grew to 100 GiB and now I ran out of space" won't really be a problem).

But at that point, you're either going to be considering a new drive because the existing one is too small; or blowing away the whole thing because it's been a couple of release cycles and that's just easier than cleaning out the cruft.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Larry78723 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:56 am
+1. Just look up how to defrag in a Linux environment. It's ridiculously complex, and if it were necessary someone would have simplified it a long time ago.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

+1. Just look up how to defrag in a Linux environment. It's ridiculously complex, and if it were necessary someone would have simplified it a long time ago.
It is NOT necessary, and It is not Ridiculously complex, But rather, it is Ridiculously easy to do on LM 18.xx and 19.xx versions, (Never tried it on 20.xx versions)...(See defrag command at end of post)...DAMIEN
I think the issue here is the Windows need to defrag the disk, which is not necessary in Linux. The ext4 file system used by Mint is a journaling system so it organizes itself much better than ntfs.
The above two statements are TRUE.

Take Note: I DO NOT recommend defragging an ext4 drive, ever.

Defrag Command

Code: Select all

sudo e4defrag /dev/sda1
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

If you find a need to clean out any of the usual detritus, these are safe commands to use to do so by copy and paste, one at a time, into your terminal...I might do this every couple of months or so and have very little to clean up...If you have never done these, you might find quite a bit the first time, but very little thereafter...DAMIEN

Kernel and other Cleanups after Deletions:

sudo apt autoclean

sudo apt autoremove --purge
Clear the Thumbnail Cache:

rm -v -f ~/.cache/thumbnails/*/*.png ~/.thumbnails/*/*.png
Clear Miscellaneous Detritus:

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | sudo xargs dpkg --purge
Clear DNS Cache:

sudo systemd-resolve --flush-caches
Flush Journald:

sudo journalctl --rotate

sudo journalctl --vacuum-time=1s
Do this last one ONLY if you are using an SSD drive:

Manual SSD TRIM:

sudo fstrim -av
MAlfare

Post by MAlfare »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:12 am We wonder if there is any need to clean/ re-install LM19.2 after having used it for more then 1/2/3 years. Of course we always kept updating.
We remember something like that from the Windows days.
I installed WIN95 ONE time and used it till W98 came out, which I installed ONE time and used it until its EOL.
No need to install WIN or LINUX more than once if you don't fill your installation with rubbish
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

The ext4 file system used by Mint is a journaling system so it organizes itself much better than ntfs.
NTFS is a journaling file system so that is not the reason for them being different.

When you upgrade from 19.x to 20.x, perform a clean install. Clean installs are good when you continually add applications to try them out. Clean installs are good when you test dozens of USB Wifi devices and have drivers installed for every one. Clean installs are good when you have a list of every application you need and end up with a new version of every one, which you get with the jump from LM 19 to LM 20.

Just refer to your list of all the things you installed in LM 19. :shock:

Well, you might not have a list. There are ways to list installed packages, investigate what each package does, then delete the ones you no longer use. There are ways to delete old Linux kernels, co requisite packages no longer needed, and all sorts of junk. It is equivalent to going through your spice cabinet and throwing out the ones that are too old plus the XXX chilli that gives you indigestion plus the weird ones with too much salt. A once per year spring clean is good.

And spring clean the fans!
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepper-Mint-Patty »

Ok i understand there is no need. Whenever i feel the need i will try DAMIEN1307 commands. :)
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:15 pm If you find a need to clean out any of the usual detritus, these are safe commands to use to do so by copy and paste, one at a time, into your terminal...I might do this every couple of months or so and have very little to clean up...If you have never done these, you might find quite a bit the first time, but very little thereafter...DAMIEN

Kernel and other Cleanups after Deletions:

sudo apt autoclean

sudo apt autoremove --purge
Clear the Thumbnail Cache:

rm -v -f ~/.cache/thumbnails/*/*.png ~/.thumbnails/*/*.png
Clear Miscellaneous Detritus:

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | sudo xargs dpkg --purge
Clear DNS Cache:

sudo systemd-resolve --flush-caches
Flush Journald:

sudo journalctl --rotate

sudo journalctl --vacuum-time=1s
Do this last one ONLY if you are using an SSD drive:

Manual SSD TRIM:

sudo fstrim -av
Superb guide.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [SOLVED] any need to clean/ re-install LM19.2 after + 1 year

Post by Petermint »

sudo fan -cycle vacuum
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

MAlfare wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:53 pm I installed WIN95 ONE time and used it till W98 came out, which I installed ONE time and used it until its EOL.
No need to install WIN or LINUX more than once if you don't fill your installation with rubbish
For my own windows machines, I've ran them for years without reinstalling. (Mostly because I'm lazy, lol)

But one main difference in my experience is that my windows pcs gets slower as several years of updates piles up. While my linux boxes performance seems to stay the same , or even get better with updates
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: [SOLVED] any need to clean/ re-install LM19.2 after + 1 year

Post by RollyShed »

Cleaning? Absolutely, definitely, Yes.

Switch OFF, remove the power cable, take the cover off and with a good strong vacuum cleaner and brush, clean all of the dust out of fans and heat-sink grills. If compressed air is available possibly a better way of doing it.

If you were meaning software then the question is why? Dust and dirt don't effect it, it isn't windows which need cleaning often.

Return to “Beginner Questions”