SOLVED-19.2 Cinnamon freezes completely

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

SOLVED-19.2 Cinnamon freezes completely

Post by Pepper-Mint-Patty »

Lately almost twice a day up to date 19.2 Cinnamon freezes. It happened while playing a 500mb .wmv or when just opening a simple website. Only the one browser was opened.
ctrl+alt+*, ctrl+alt+f1 don't work. Actually no keys work at all. Have to use power key to shutdown completely.

One time only the cursor appeared after restart.

battery full, hd +100gb free
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
mikaelrask
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 19.2 Cinnamon freezes completely

Post by mikaelrask »

hey some system information your system might be good :D

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxrzc0
run the command in the terminal and post the result here.
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900
Graphic Card: AMD ATI Radeon RX 7900 XT/7900 XTX/7900M
Ram 32 GB ddr 5
Kernel: 6.5.0-14 generic
LM Cinnamon 21.3 edge
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

I won't post all the details about my hardware, kind of privacy thing :wink:
If guns don't kill, then OxyContin doesn't either, heroin isn't addicitve and fairy tales are real.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

We can hardly call this 'some information'. Is this the only thing you can think of? The Google spying mindset is really prevailing here, good grieve!!!
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Is this the only thing you can think of?
(facepalm). 1. You requested help from this site..not the other way around. So as a reasonable retort " is that all you can think to post instead of providing beneficial info that can help us...HELP..you??"
The Google spying mindset is really prevailing here, good grieve!!!
2. (double facepalm)

0.o That couldn't be less coherent than if you claimed belly button lint was related to the nearest black hole of the universe. Get real. Look, don't be difficult.

This is forums.linuxmint.com. Also, It is a reasonable assumption that no one here is paid to help as chances are all of us ( if not at least 99% of us) are all volunteers who, legit, TRY to help each other here.

That command you were asked to run by Mikaelrask presents absolutely NO personally identifiable information. There's a good reason the mods of this site have that part in Pink font and pink background just about the Dark green message area part...that talks about "how to get help"... It's nothing new. This exact type of terminal command is a staple of Step 5 on how to get help. It posts information on how your Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon distro " sees " your hardware and software, but again..NOT to the extent of showing ways for any of us to find where you live or get any other personal data.

This saves us all a lot of time and questions.

Would you bring your car to a friend willing to work on it or help you diagnose the problem free of charge about how it won't crank and not let him inside the cockpit of it too..or not allow him to look under the hood? Get real. Otherwise, that flip flop attitude is completely asinine and doesn't get you the help you claim you want and wastes that friend's time.

Either you want help resolving this problem or you don't. It's that simple

Here's mine ..notice yet how nothing about the results give an ip address or anything personal??

System:
  Kernel: 5.11.0-25-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 wm: muffin dm: LightDM 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: X570 Taichi serial: <filter> 
  BIOS: American Megatrends v: P4.30 date: 04/14/2021 
CPU:
  Topology: 12-Core model: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Zen 3 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm 
  bogomips: 177583 
  Speed: 3700 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3700 2: 3700 3: 3700 
  4: 3700 5: 3599 6: 3700 7: 3700 8: 3700 9: 3700 10: 3700 11: 3700 12: 3700 
  13: 3700 14: 3700 15: 3700 16: 3700 17: 3700 18: 3700 19: 3700 20: 3700 
  21: 3700 22: 3700 23: 3700 24: 3700 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] 
  vendor: Sapphire Limited Nitro+ driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 0b:00.0 
  chip ID: 1002:67df 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu,ati 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa tty: N/A 
  OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.40.0 
  5.11.0-25-generic LLVM 12.0.1) 
  v: 4.6 Mesa 21.1.5 - kisak-mesa PPA direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590] 
  vendor: Sapphire Limited driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 0b:00.1 
  chip ID: 1002:aaf0 
  Device-2: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: ASRock 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 0e:00.4 chip ID: 1022:1487 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.11.0-25-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel I211 Gigabit Network vendor: ASRock driver: igb v: kernel 
  port: f000 bus ID: 06:00.0 chip ID: 8086:1539 
  IF: enp6s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 14.37 TiB used: 8.75 TiB (60.9%) 
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Intel model: SSDPEDMW800G4 size: 745.21 GiB 
  speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter> 
  ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: HDWR11A size: 9.10 TiB 
  speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
  ID-3: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 4TB size: 3.64 TiB 
  ID-4: /dev/sdc vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 1TB size: 931.51 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 732.02 GiB used: 61.91 GiB (8.5%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 39.9 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 46 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 837 
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list 
  1: deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ focal main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/caldas-lopes-ppa-focal.list 
  1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/caldas-lopes/ppa/ubuntu focal main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cappelikan-ppa-focal.list 
  1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/cappelikan/ppa/ubuntu focal main
  2: deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/cappelikan/ppa/ubuntu focal main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deadsnakes-ppa-focal.list 
  1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/deadsnakes/ppa/ubuntu focal main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list 
  1: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:erigas:cpupower-gui.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kisak-kisak-mesa-focal.list 
  1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kisak/kisak-mesa/ubuntu focal main
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lunarg-vulkan-1.2.162-focal.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/lutris-team-lutris-focal.list 
  1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/lutris-team/lutris/ubuntu focal main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com ulyssa main upstream import backport
  2: deb http://mirror.lstn.net/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://mirror.lstn.net/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://mirror.lstn.net/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openshot_developers-ppa-focal.list 
  1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openshot.developers/ppa/ubuntu focal main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rael-gc-ubuntu-xboxdrv-focal.list 
  1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rael-gc/ubuntu-xboxdrv/ubuntu focal main
Info:
  Processes: 407 Uptime: 1h 40m Memory: 125.74 GiB used: 1.99 GiB (1.6%) 
  Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash 
  v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38
Last edited by motoryzen on Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

Plus, if you really don't want your system's info out there, Pepper-Mint-Patty, you can come back and delete the info you post once you get the help you need. But, motoryzen speaks the truth, it does help people on here diagnose problems like these.

Otherwise, all we can do is speculate and ask a lot of questions. Because, quite frankly, I don't know about other people here, but I have no idea why your machine is freezing like that...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:32 amI won't post all the details about my hardware, kind of privacy thing :wink:
Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help! explains the data we need to be able to help you. If you don't want to provide any data, then you will have to figure it out yourself.

Freezes can be related to driver issues, memory issues, available free space issues, browser issues, BIOS/UEFI settings, not running the latest updates, etc. By seeing the data of how Mint views your hardware, we can help narrow the list of possibilities.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

@motoryzen The comparison with a car is totally ridiculous. The car is not connected to the internet. The data is not stored and analyzed by Google and all the other t-shirt criminals.

We appreciate people's help, but that doesn't mean we abandon all privacy.

Probably you are among those who believe in the "services" of Google and Big Tech. Allow me to open your eyes: Google 'services' are solely to spy out users, create a huge database and make money from them. They didn't become the biggest companies in the world by being good persons. Ever heard of surveillance capitalism? Most people close their eyes to it, nice and easy. That's not going to make it go away. It only makes it worse!

It is all the sadder that an originally independent OS is also penetrated by Google. This site is already full of unnecessary cookies. Even the search engine is from Google! You would expect it to be privacy by design.
Of course this info is not abused, it is all a Big Tech service... :roll:
We care about youre privacy, we want it all! 8)

But maybe there are people that are also concerned about privacy and they might understand our concerns. Maybe those people are willing to help.
Just now we've changed some settings, and the OS hasn't frozen for 30 minutes. Hope this will do.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Finston Pickle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Finston Pickle »

Hi,

If you are still having problems a general refresh can help. I have used this successfully in the past:

In Terminal:

To Update, Upgrade and create a new Grub:

sudo apt-get -f install -y && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y && sudo update-initramfs -u -k all && reboot

I think you may be a little too suspicious of this forum - everyone I have dealt with here have been very supportive and helpful
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:56 am @motoryzen The comparison with a car is totally ridiculous. The car is not connected to the internet. The data is not stored and analyzed by Google and all the other t-shirt criminals.

We appreciate people's help, but that doesn't mean we abandon all privacy.

Probably you are among those who believe in the "services" of Google and Big Tech. Most people close their eyes to it, nice and easy. That's not going to make it go away. It only makes it worse!

It is all the sadder that an originally independent OS is also penetrated by Google. This site is already full of unnecessary cookies. Even the search engine is from Google! You would expect it to be privacy by design.
Of course this info is not abused, it is all a Big Tech service... :roll:
We care about youre privacy, we want it all! 8)

But maybe there are people that are also concerned about privacy and they might understand our concerns. Maybe those people are willing to help.
Just now we've changed some settings, and the OS hasn't frozen for 30 minutes. Hope this will do.
There is nothing ridiculous about that comparison. It involves using the same common sense ( facepalm)
Allow me to open your eyes: Google 'services' are solely to spy out users, create a huge database and make money from them. They didn't become the biggest companies in the world by being good persons. Ever heard of surveillance capitalism?
1. Capitalism has nothing to do with any evil big tech companies ( google included). I never acted like Google didn't spy or violate anyone's 4th amendment rights. You clearly need to research the actual definition of Capitalism ..the real one..not the one created by social justice idiots.

2. I already KNEW all of that about Google. I learned about how Google works over 10 years ago.

Seems to me it's obviously you're not looking for real help but rather to pick a pointless tech-political fight. This site isn't for that. Learn coherence.

3. For the record, I've been waiting on Purism to actually produce and sell a GREAT phone ( not a 720p $800.00 "almost there" phone..). I refuse to be locked by the Apple ecosystem. WTH would I believe in supporting Google? I don't use their services. NOTHING...I said to you or here would indicate that. I'm a LIBERTARIAN.....

-_-

You seem to love to jump to empty conclusions.

Again...forums.linuxmint.com has NOTHING.....I repeat....NOTHING.to do with supporting Google. It's about supporting Linux Mint users as well as, by individual choice and obviously within good reasoning, helping other Linux distro users as well if the situation is applicable enough and makes sense.

Learn coherence. Go elsewhere if you have nothing more intelligent to do with your time than to bait someone into a pointless negative discussion in which your understanding of the words " reasonable cooperation" and " coherence" are as sharp as a bowling ball. It's not my fault nor problem of anyone else but your own here if you refuse to understand simple facts of life dealing with asking for help.

SMG and I have already pointed out the obvious. If you want to keep up pointless dead end blabbering using incoherent excuses, you're only wasting your own time now.

Lord have mercy and help Geek Squad if you ever choose to buy a computer from Best Buy and buy a warranty from them. ( facepalms..laughing) You'll probably give them such similar asinine excuses as to why you expect them to fix your PC yet refuse to let them look at it for fear that google or any other entity will hack you.

If you are THAT paranoid, then DON'T use a computer....don't use a single device that connects to the internet ( and btw..genius want to be....Tesla Cars...ARE connected to the world wide web. How ELSE..do you think Telsa Motors sends updates to it without you physically bringing the car to them for them to PHYSICALLy connect a cord to the car's computer? DUH...

Thus...my analogy CAN be coherent in more than just the way I originally pointed out. It's called thinking... Try it. )

I'm ignoring you now. This isn't Twitter or Facebook, keep the asinine insults and incoherent excuses there. They don't belong here.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Patty, you have choices, so do we. If you don't want to reveal the hardware in your machine to those who want to help you here on the forum for free, go pay someone to fix it. They'll have access to everything on that machine, including everything on your drives unless you wipe them. You're now on my ignore list.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

Relax. And, for what it's worth, I didn't see any "asinine insults", motoryzen...

I agree big tech is way out of control and the problems Patty mentions are real. It's Patty's prerogative not to post his/her machine's details, and s/he has that right. Which, ironically, is exactly what the issue is about with digital rights and privacy; people have the right to their digital privacy. Patty's just exercising his right not to post his computer specs. No need for the overreactions on here, guys.

I think there's enough division in the world right now and it might make a bit more common sense to have level heads and offer an "in between" where someone can post some specs of their machine (like RAM, CPU, etc) without a full inxi report if they're uncomfortable with that. That smaller amount of info might be helpful enough for some people on here to provide help, and maybe not, but ultimately it's their right, and they shouldn't be vilified for it, in my opinion. They might just not get a response. But, maybe someone has had a similar problem before and can help without the full inxi report. But lengthy rants and being trigger-happy to add people to ignore isn't really the greatest response to a Linux newbie, is it?
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

@newlyminted
Allow me to open your eyes: Google 'services' are solely to spy out users, create a huge database and make money from them. They didn't become the biggest companies in the world by being good persons. Ever heard of surveillance capitalism?
That's plenty for me. And Ok, if someone wants to literally act like a mental yo yo ( as in the kid's toy from the 70's and 80's ), that's not my problem either. But me explaining why it's asinine to ask for help and then refuse to provide info that will ENABLE...another to help that person asking for help....isn't wrong either. So I'm simply exercising my right to fair communication. :D

It's a two way road.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

It's really very simple. Either post the requested details or don't expect to get much (if any) help here. Your choice. :wink:
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

motoryzen wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:35 pm @newlyminted
That's plenty for me. And Ok, if someone wants to literally act like a mental yo yo ( as in the kid's toy from the 70's and 80's ), that's not my problem either. But me explaining why it's asinine to ask for help and then refuse to provide info that will ENABLE...another to help that person asking for help....isn't wrong either. So I'm simply exercising my right to fair communication. :D

It's a two way road.
It is, indeed. What you have marketed as "fair communication", however, is, to be fair, a bit more of an overreaction than was warranted. Ideally, a newbie shouldn't have to fight for his right not to post his inxi report, should he?

Besides, your facepalming, "get real", and car analogies post was made right after he said he didn't want to post because he felt it's a privacy thing - to me that was you overreacting, not him "acting like a yo-yo". To me that was you escalating the situation, not him.

But, heck, I'm no referee here, I frankly don't care, I was just pointing out what I observed. Feel free to sling mud at newbies if that's your thing, and Patty, feel free not to post your inxi, but you'll probably not get much help, but ya never know. Or post a smaller subset of your inxi report and delete it later, as I suggested.
sleeper12 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:54 pm It's really very simple. Either post the requested details or don't expect to get much (if any) help here. Your choice. :wink:
Agreed. And I guess I'm just of the mind that it can be stated as simply as you just did, sleeper12, without the histrionics undertaken by Mr Zen. But, whatever floats your boat, I suppose; maybe with more zen, less motor...?
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

I agree big tech is way out of control and the problems Patty mentions are real.
...and they shouldn't be vilified for it
...he didn't want to post because he felt it's a privacy thing - to me that was you overreacting, not him "acting like a yo-yo". To me that was you escalating the situation, not him.
Thnx newlyminted7 & Finston Pickle, it is nice not to have a decent comment and not only moron reactions.

sudo apt-get -f install -y && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y && sudo update-initramfs -u -k all && reboot
I am not sure about 'upgrade', do you mean going from LM19.2 to LM19.3? We need to keep LM19.2
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 5
Level 5

Politics? No it is all about the boy scout that was so proud he made his hands dirty he needed to show everyone here. On top of that he had to SPEAK LOUD but managed to say nothing in the same time. Over and over again. Which is some kind of achievement. Besides, clearly off topic. But the mod. wasn't bothered about that all.
19.2 Cinn, Nemo
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

Pepper-Mint-Patty wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:14 pmPolitics? ...But the mod. wasn't bothered about that all.
Except they (rightfully) deleted your post. Give it a rest already.
I'm sorry I stood up for you, sheesh...
sueede
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sueede »

Have you tried Ctrl+Alt+Esc ?
Finston Pickle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Finston Pickle »

Hi,

When I used the code, it just refreshed the release that I was already using.

In my case I was in the safe mode because the grub element was not starting the system correctly. I think that it will also work if you use it in terminal in an operating system - the "reboot" element sees to that.

As I understand it, it also rewrires the Grub initiation element so is quite good at clearing issues.

Return to “Beginner Questions”