How to dualboot win 10

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tsla
Level 3
Level 3

How to dualboot win 10

Post by Tsla »

hey guys, how do i install win 10 along with my mint 19? without deleting everything? I'm not good at partitioning things
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to dualboot win 10

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

It is relatively easy to install Linux next to Windows. When you install Windows next to Linux, Windows will treat Linux as a variant of Covid and attempt eradication. Installing an OS in a virtual machine is a pain but it might be easier than installing Windows along side Linux.

If you have fantastic backups, you could let Windows trample all over your machine then follow the instructions for installing Linux along side of Windows then restore your Linux system from Timeshift and your user files form Backintime.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

It may or may not trash your linux partitions, in legacy boot it will overwrite the linux bootloader (grub), in UEFI boot it will put itself top of the boot list and the 'ubuntu' entry may still be there and work. That is why it is always recommended to install windows first.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I always use two separate physical drives to dual boot.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Tsla wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:36 pm hey guys, how do i install win 10 along with my mint 19? without deleting everything? I'm not good at partitioning things
You're really better off not dual booting ( meaning having any Linux distro and Windows installed into the same physical storage drive). It's a big headache of a lot of stuff to keep up with to try ensuring everything just works correctly. There are so many variables to account for, and even then, a Windows update can mess up or brick your Linux grub ( default Linux boot loader) thus preventing guaranteed the Linux distro from being able to boot and possibly even Windows also...even with Fast Boot and Secure Boot disabled ( fast boot would be more applicable in this scenario honestly).

It's much simpler to just ensure you install Linux Mint into a separate storage drive. Before booting into one of them, ensure the other is completely disconnected.

This is better guarantee that nothing about the Windows world will mess with the Linux world as well as the boot loaders won't clash ( facts are facts. Linux Grub and Windows boot loader were never, still are not, and probably will never play nicely together. One always overtakes - or arguably overwrites- the other ..often depending on which OS world is installed last)

It's more annoying..thus more steps to deal with when you want to change which OS world to boot into? Sure, but at least it's a guarantee you won't loose your Windows data until you're ready to go 100% Linux...and you can take your mental breaks from Linux as needed. It's ok, we all learn Linux at different paces. I had take my breaks sometimes across 10 years of using Linux Mint and other distros before I finally was able to condense my needs and be patient to the point that LM Cinnamon reached to where I knew it was user friendly enough for me to finally ditch Windows 100%. I'm no expert in Linux still. It's a vast universe.

Thus, you don't have to worry about dealing with partitioning nonsense. It's much simpler that way.

Besides...Finally..with this way, if you find you just don't want to deal with Linux period for a long time or even ever again, you can just safely nuke that Linux Mint -installed storage drive, reconnect your Windows drive, boot into it. then connect that LM installed storage drive via an external enclosure or adapter, and nuke it within Windows and format it how you wish to use as you wish. *shrugs*
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
attishno1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by attishno1 »

Please do not install Linux Mint and Windows 10 into the same hard drive. Windows 10 updates are known to cause issues in GNU GRUB. Instead, purchase 2 separate hard drives. Install Windows first on one drive. They use a Bootbable USB to install Linux Mint into the second drive.

Use the GNU GRUB menu to then boot into either drive.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it also does depend upon, your machine having the ability to utilise two HDDS,
and is more an Desktop scenario, and not all Laptops can handle two HDDS.

in either case, you should create an vacant area at the start of the drive,
that you intend to Install the Windows System upon.

then Boot from the Windows Installation Media & point it's Installer to that vacant area,
and let it does it's thing.

afterwards, you usually do have to repair the PCs Boot Loader,
to enable the LinuxMint System to be used, again.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Beginner Questions”