Can raising the Panel be bound to a key?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Can raising the Panel be bound to a key?

Post by markfilipak »

Rationale: The Panel apparently relies on a mouse-over to raise -- and I prefer not to have the Panel always displayed. But on a UHD laptop display, the mouse-over is very flakey.

I've searched all over, inside Linux and on the Internet, for a long time and have not found Joy.

Thanks in advance,
Mark.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Can raising the Panel be bound to a key?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Being able to that would be handy. However, I don't know how but I do something similar that might work for you. I often go to full screen which "hides" the panel and everything that's on top that's not part of the window I'm in by hitting F11. Hitting F11 again restores the hidden areas.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Nice. But it only works in a browser. It doesn't work generally in Linux.
rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus »

The panel on my 20.1 mate has an arrow on each end, that when clicked hides the panel.k
Click again and the panel returns.
Perhaps this will work for you....r
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

rumpus wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:18 am The panel on my 20.1 mate has an arrow on each end, that when clicked hides the panel.k
Click again and the panel returns.
Perhaps this will work for you....r
Sure, that works, but it requires mouse clicks. Can those ckicks be bound to a key?
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

In LM Cinnamon 20. the super key ( often is a windows logo button on most north american keyboards right next to left alt between it and left Ctrl button) raises the Panel.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

motoryzen wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:09 pm In LM Cinnamon 20. the super key ( often is a windows logo button on most north american keyboards right next to left alt between it and left Ctrl button) raises the Panel.
I have the panel set to autohide, but it does not autohide -- it is always displayed.

The super key does nothing.
The 'menu' key [note] drops down the Mint Mate menu.
Alt+super does nothing.
Ctrl+super does nothing.
Alt+'menu' does nothing.
Ctrl+'menu' does nothing.

[note] to the right of the space bar, between right-Alt & right-Ctrl.

I looked at "Keyboard Preferences" and at "Keyboard Shortcuts" and could find no Joy.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

I have news. I rebooted and now the panel autohides.

But still:
The super key does nothing.
The 'menu' key [note] drops down the Mint Mate menu.
Alt+super does nothing.
Ctrl+super does nothing.
Alt+'menu' does nothing.
Ctrl+'menu' does nothing.

I have no way to raise the panel via the keyboard. [note]
So, the title of this topic still appies: "Can raising the Panel be bound to a key?"

My quest began on Jul 24, 2021. It's now Jul 21. 2022. I've gone from Mint18.3+Cinnamon to Mint20.3+Mate. Still, it appears there's no way to raise the panel via the keyboard.

[note] There is a switcher, but that requires more keys and it requires holding keys until click-selection via the mouse. Simply raising the panel (focus to the panel) should be a single, momentary function key and it should be a raise-on-key / lower-on-key-or-click control.

Return to “Beginner Questions”