Mint 19.3 and streaming

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vineyridge
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 19.3 and streaming

Post by vineyridge »

I'm on Viasat satellite which is slow. I can pay twice as much and get it faster (maybe), but I'm unwilling to sign up for another two year contract if I do. I would like to stream from my slow,wired Viasat modem to my computer. I know it's slow and probably dicey but I have been looking at SlingTV , but they do not list Mint or Linux as an available OS.

What streaming services will work with Mint 19.3? I really want access to the Olympics, and I don't have any form of TV service now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 19.3 and streaming

Post by ralplpcr »

SlingTV should work on Linux: https://linuxconfig.org/watch-sling-tv- ... x-on-linux

Hulu should also work on Linux: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-watch-hulu-on-linux

DirectTV should also work (viewtopic.php?t=250766), though I believe AT&T has changed the service to something called AT&T TV, so it may now be different. Netflix, Amazon Prime - - work just fine. I can also verify that HDHomeRun with a good long-range antenna will work just fine as well.

Basically, any streaming service that uses a standard DRM and *doesn't* specifically check if your browser is Linux should work. I certainly haven't tried them all, but with the addition of DRM protocols built-into Chrome (or the ability to add DRM to Firefox), it's a whole lot easier now than it was just a few years ago.

EDIT: It seems Paramount+, Disney+, and YouTubeTV have also been shown to work under Ubuntu-based operating systems (like Mint)
sandbagger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sandbagger »

hi there
you mentioned Amazon prime to the OP, I went to the linuxconfig.org site you mentioned, excellent thanks, but when I searched for Amazon prime nothing came back. How do I find out how to get this working.
thanks
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

sandbagger wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:07 pm hi there
you mentioned Amazon prime to the OP, I went to the linuxconfig.org site you mentioned, excellent thanks, but when I searched for Amazon prime nothing came back. How do I find out how to get this working.
thanks
How are you attempting to play Amazon Prime videos? I did nothing special...

Firefox:
1. Open Firefox
2. Open settings, search for DRM
3. Make sure the "Play DRM-controlled content" box is checked
4. Go to Amazon.com, login, and navigate to a video I want to watch
5. Watch video

Chrome:
1. Open Chrome
2. Go to Amazon.com, login, and navigate to a video I want to watch
3. Watch video

Very easy - - the videos just fired up & played, with me basically doing nothing fancy. :)
sandbagger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sandbagger »

Sorry poorly formed question. I thought there was an applet or something else you were using. I use firefox and it works. I just thought there might be a better way.
thanks for taking the time though
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

I believe that *if* you enable snap support for Mint, you can install the Ubuntu Electron Player in Mint. The latest version supports:

Code: Select all

Amazon Prime Video
CBS All Access
Crunchyroll
Disney +
Floatplane
Hulu
Libreflix
Netflix
Odysee
PlutoTV
Twitch
Vudu
Youtube
YoutubeTV
The browser method is good enough for me, but the procedure can be found here: https://snapcraft.io/install/electronplayer/mint

Return to “Beginner Questions”