Tweaking a Theme

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skyloop
Level 1
Level 1

Tweaking a Theme

Post by skyloop »

So I recently upgraded to Mint 19 MATE and was getting into making it more similar to the way my old system looked and found a theme I like but how would you modify the the size of the title bar? Also the open windows text on the entire bottom panel is a grey colour instead of a solid black (same goes for the file, edit, view bar right below it) and the text in the title bar isn't a pure white, how would one go about changing that? Using the default window manager Marco if that helps.

I have managed to change the colour of the title bar through the gtk-3.0 by editing the gtk.css file, I'm guessing it would be in there like where I found the way to change the color of the title bar itself if I'm not mistaken but what would I specifically be looking for to tweak these things?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Tweaking a Theme

Post by rickNS »

skyloop wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:01 pm
I have managed to change the colour of the title bar through the gtk-3.0 by editing the gtk.css file, I'm guessing it would be in there like where I found the way to change the color of the title bar itself if I'm not mistaken
I look at the .css file for Mint-Y-Dark @3000+ lines, and I'm lost. To me it looks like a lot of the same stuff over, and over.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Tweaking a Theme

Post by Moonstone Man »

skyloop wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:01 pm ... what would I specifically be looking for to tweak these things?
Our resident expert has been offline since around August last year but popped his head in last week. He'll be tied up for some unknown length of time, so the best advice I can offer is to type smurphos into the search bar at the top right of this page, and also use the advanced search features to locate more specific posts by him. Just be aware that the forum will not search on less than four characters so typing smurphos into google with site=forums.linuxmint.com at the end of your criteria will also be helpful in finding relevant posts.

If you do that, you will find an awful lot of hints and tips about where to look and what to look for.

Return to “Beginner Questions”