Will it always be a slog using Linux?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Will it always be a slog using Linux?

Post by DPM »

Minty16 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:46 amIt's like "You wanna do what? Download another package(?)"
Under Linux, you don't download random stuff from the internet and install via double click. That's a Windows workflow. Under Linux, you use the package manager. With Mint, you have Synaptic for detailed options, or the Software Manager with a higher level view on applications. The latter works like any app store.
And meantime everyone is telling you how easy everything is.
I have installed Mint for a number of non-IT end users. Some of them installed additional stuff themselves - via the Software Manager, as intended. That's easy.
It just feels like it's not for the average Joe.
If you want to install and run Windows programs, the OS that is best at doing that is, unsurprisingly, Windows. However, that is hardly a useful measure of how easy an OS is.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

I would go so far as to say that using Linux is using an actual computer, in its most "regular" form. When using the "other OSes", you are using proprietary computer systems that aren't actual, open, computing platforms. You are paying them for supposed "ease of use" or "convenience", but all they do is lock you in, in a variety of shady, nefarious, and utterly dishonest (and often inconvenient and frustrating) ways - not the least of which includes locking your thinking and ideology to them.

Therefore when making a switch away from those other OSes, it makes it harder to do because you're forced to learn some new things. The irony is that, in actual fact, these aren't "new things" at all, these are just the things that those other OSes built on top of, stood on the shoulders of, and made "easier" or more "convenient" for you, but now you and others are discovering the true price of that. And that price is getting higher and higher every day with these OSes and mobile devices - they are worse than ever. I just made the switch from Mac OS to Linux Mint for full time daily use only about eight months ago, and I'd say there's never been a better time to learn Linux and free yourself from the clutches of those other OSes and related companies. And what you learn of it will serve you very well for hopefully many years to come.
Minty16
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minty16 »

Everyone, I am so grateful for the amazing responses.
I expected mocking tones from "techies" but you have all been so supportive.
It's really inspired me to stick with it.
Thanks once again.
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

Yeah go with it Minty!
Fizz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Fizz »

I too was excited to try Wine and play many of my old games, but most didn't work, even after much research. But this isn't the fault of linux itself. That's the nature of trying to convert software from one platform to another. Even on my Win10 machine, i couldn't get older Windows games (for 95, 98, etc) to run, even in compatibility mode. But you'd not call Win10 a slog because Win95 games don't easily work.

Right now i think the best thing one can do for gaming on Linux is to buy games through Steam or other similar platforms; show the developers that there is a market for Linux. Steam has a ton of games that are available for linux (including some of those older ones), but it's not complete yet. And my experience with Steam games on Linux has been fantastic: stable (more than Windows), glitch-free, and fast! Steam has their own implementation of Wine, called Proton, which enables a lot of those older games, in a way more user-frieldly way than Wine itself.

As for being a coder, you don't have to be one at all, but it can be useful. One thing i like about Mint is that it works for all levels- it's UI is easy enough for novices, but the power of linux still exists for true linux wizards.

Glad to hear you're sticking with it. I've been here since i started using Mint a couple years ago, and have found everyone to be friendly and helpful. Always feel free to ask questions, and in no time that "sloginess" will be a distant memory. :) Welcome to the community!

-Fizz
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

If you think it's a slog now you should have been running Linux 20 years ago. Back then, it would take hours to configure a Sound Blaster 16 card. Hardware is a whole lot easier now, and most stuff configures automagically because the drivers are in the kernel. Lately, there's been regressions (looking at samba, especially, and complications from video drivers, too). However, most of the problems are from new Linux users installing on cutting edge hardware and Linux has always lagged on cutting edge hardware. That is mostly the fault of the vendors because they concentrate their support on the most used desktop system. Some things don't change. And that brings me back to Windows. W7 was an excellent system, but along came W10. In an effort to fix a couple of decades of messing up security, the Windows developers revamped their system, and turned it into an abomination. Configuration tools were placed in new and illogical places (and they are still being moved around), and the effort to secure the system led to the messed up patch Tuesday, which often didn't patch and sometimes broke working systems and still can tie up a machine for hours while an update installs, along with the inevitable reboots. Isn't the Linux update system nice? I have some personal rants about ex Windows users not knowing what should be updated and what doesn't really need to be (kernel updates is one and updates from, for example, a working LTS 20.1 to 20.2) and breaking their systems as a result, but that's me.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Minty16 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:46 am I know I've only been using Linux a week but every step of the way seems like a slog. Just discovered games that need Wine to run. DL it and nothing happens.
It's like "You wanna do what? Download another package(?)"
"You wanna ask what? join another forum".
And meantime everyone is telling you how easy everything is.
Do you have to have a basic coding knowledge?
I'm not trying to diss everyone coz I can see there's some very hard work goes into this stuff. It just feels like it's not for the average Joe.
I'm late to the thread, been with LM now since LM 17 and always using the Cinnamon desktop.

for me, it is fast, 10 times faster than windows on the same laptop, both OS's are running on SSDs.

IF, you stick with the Software Manager, every thing will run 'out of the box'
My single gripe about the stuff in Software Manager is: the title of the app has just about 'ZERO RELATIONSHIP' to what it actually does. ( I hate cutesy little names for Apps, from Developers who think they are the Cat's Meow )

IF, you insist on trying to import something from the 'other world', then what you get might not work at all.

For me, it took about 2 years to get enough familiarity to know what will work, and what won't.
I have Zero coding knowledge, I have a copious Notebook filled with Hints 'n Kinks gathered from reading nearly every thread on this forum......

the people here are Tony the Tiger Great!!!
if you still have problems after the Gurus help you, .... I'm quitting right there.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

The issue had is the hardship in running a program designed for a different OS on Mint? Try running a Linux app on Windows, or a MAC app on Windows, or a Linux app on MAC.

I am a Mint user since v13 and have no real gripes. Is it perfect; no, nothing is. I game (Steam, Lutris), code, edit audio and video and more.

I have turned hundreds to Mint over the years. Some that have trouble finding the power button for their computer, yet almost none have experienced issues.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
Minty16
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minty16 »

Lady Fitzgerald, that video is fantastic. I almost hung my head in shame :lol:
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Minty16 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:45 pm Everyone, I am so grateful for the amazing responses.
I expected mocking tones from "techies" but you have all been so supportive.
It's really inspired me to stick with it.
Thanks once again.
First good for you for sticking with it. It IS worth it.

Yes switching over can at first "seem" overwhelming, but your not giving yourself enough credit, and your doing just fine BTW. (some folks have trouble just getting installed)

Back to overwhelming, the thing is to prioritize, and learn what you need, when you need it, one thing at a time. Then give yourself a reasonable amount of time for each item.

Example, say your interested in virtual box, vpn, rsync, or getting steam running (again just examples). Pick just one, and depending on your free time give yourself a day or three for each item. I say, "eat your mints, one at a time". I've done exactly this a few times, I'd write on a piece of paper a few items I'd want to learn, and found it surprising how quick you can get them checked off. (keep in mind I may have more free time than some other people)
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

I think @rickNS has given excellent advice. I've been using LM for almost 5 years and find myself learning something new or finding something that I want to investigate at least twice a week.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.

Return to “Beginner Questions”