Bash script for welcome screen settings

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwyrky
Level 3
Level 3

Bash script for welcome screen settings

Post by kwyrky »

After I installed Linux Mint 20.2 Uma on several machines I found myself redoing several steps basically changing some things in the welcome screen, setup timeshift, back in time and install some packages.

How can I find out which commands in a bash script will setup my preferred settings from the welcome screen?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Bash script for welcome screen settings

Post by xenopeek »

A similar kind of question answered here: viewtopic.php?p=2031778#p2031778. Some settings are stored in text files and you can find which file with the method in my reply there. Then you can figure out a bash command to modify that file on other system to make the same change. Or as in that example maybe you can just copy the entire file after setting up how you want it.

Some settings will be stored in dconf (kind of similar to but not nearly as insane as the Windows registry). You can change these from a bash script with the gsettings command and the appropriate key and value. That will take some figuring out.

Anyway, some settings are stored here, others there, and it will be a bit puzzling to get that list. The Welcome Screen source code is Python and the important file is here: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintwelcom ... welcome.py. You may also be able to figure things out from there.

Return to “Beginner Questions”