changing the linux mint icon on the task bar

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sushumi
Level 1
Level 1

changing the linux mint icon on the task bar

Post by Sushumi »

Hi everyone I would like to put tje astolfo.lgbt logo on my taskbar how do i do that
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Re: changing the linux mint icon on the task bar

Post by dave0808 »

You have not mentioned which Desktop Environment (DE) that you are using. The answer may well depend on it.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Sushumi wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:54 pm Hi everyone I would like to put tje astolfo.lgbt logo on my taskbar how do i do that
please give us the results of

Code: Select all

inxi -S
so know what you are using.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Sushumi wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:54 pm Hi everyone I would like to put tje astolfo.lgbt logo on my taskbar how do i do that
Anything is possible, but I'm guessing it will be more effort than worth....anyway.

Is this something like the logo you mean ?
astolfo.png
astolfo.png (2.86 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
And so you'll know I have just done this (with a slightly simpler icon), here's the screen shot,
ss210728-03.png
ss210728-03.png (21.51 KiB) Viewed 1785 times

How to;
1) You need an image (copied, or hand made) "ideally" sized to 96 X 96 pixels, and saved in .svg format. (exact size is not critical, as my .svg was only 32 X 32)
2) Put that file in this folder; /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps
3) Actually swapping in your custom icon is very similar in both cinnamon, and MATE. (don't know about xfce) Right click the menu icon, and left click configure (for cinnamon), or preferences (in MATE), then in either desktop, click on the icon, and browse to your new custom icon, the path from #2. Click on your icon, click on open, back in the menu editor, click your icon again, then "select"
Done.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

I did another with a mint leaf, and transparent background.
ksnip210730-0915.png
ksnip210730-0915.png (30.02 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
I had trouble maintaining the size (96 pixels) of the .svg file when saving it in Inkscape.

The solution, (or at least the way I did it)
Create the image first in GIMP, save as a .png file
Open that in Inkscape.
File > Document Properties > Resize page to content (expand) then Resize page to drawing
Then save the .svg. The size will be maintained.

PS, the online converters also mess up the size.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

As far as Cinnamon is concerned:

You can use practically all image formats to place any icon in the Cinnamon Menu.
JPG works, PNG too and of course SVG.

JPEG format doesn't support transparencies though - that only works with PNG or SVG.

The original image size is pretty indifferent, besides this is also defined in the settings dialog of the Cinnamon Menu.

The only trap is where to find the desired icon: the recommendation to store icons in the folder ".icons" in /home/My Name/.icons is witless, because the folders hidden with a dot are not shown in the icon selection mode.
On the other hand, if you create an "Icons" folder in your Pictures folder, for example, all the images stored there are ready for selection.
(... and thus there is no reason to change anything in the supplied usr/share/icon system folders, which apart from that are continuously changed via updates)

Menu.png
Menu.png (4.34 KiB) Viewed 1705 times

Original PNG image from my private icon folder, placed without further processing:

absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

The same little game in MATE provides some entertainment ...

This is how the menu looks like with a 512x512 pixel PNG image:

The same PNG image reduced to 10% (51x51 pixel) with Pix:

So even in MATE no special complicated exercises are needed.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Maybe not "needed" but .svg file avoids things like your giant lime, which is not really sensible.

As far as where to put the file, well yeah, you can navigate anywhere you like, but I "thought" it was sensible to put it where other similar files are stored, and I don't see it as being terribly wrong.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Apart from the fact that the opener does not give any information about which desktop is in use, I have at least shown extended design possibilities in MATE ...

...whether they are useful? It reminds me of design jokes in Firefox.

Note on MATE: in contrast to Cinnamon (see above), you can also select images/icons that are in hidden folders in the home directory.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

To the opener:

Is it just me who got the impression that the opening of this thread was all about posting a certain statement?
Forum member rickNS and I have shown some ways and possibilities to answer the question and have also invested time in answering them. Without any feedback, it has a strange aftertaste for me ...
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Another one hit wonder :(
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
As the OP doesn't seem to care, this thread is locked. Further discussion has been moved here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”