banned from hexchat

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Angel25
Level 1
Level 1

banned from hexchat

Post by Angel25 »

Help, I want to connect to the linux mint help chat room to get support. But in hexchat it has the message;

* *** You're banned! Email opers@SpotChat.org with the ERROR line below for help.
* Closing link: (mynick@*********************************) [G-Lined: Meglos. Ban evading, harassing users]

I emailed them but no response in weeks.

What do I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CWW
Level 1
Level 1

Re: banned from hexchat

Post by CWW »

Probably you were banned because you harassed users. Did you? I am not sure.

But there are plenty of more ways to chat with your friends other than Hexchat. You should go to the software center to check out a few. Or you can download apps like Google Hangouts or Discord.

I hope that solves your problem. :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hello Angel25,
Please check out these previous threads:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=351902
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=350975

It seems to me that your problem may be solved by contacting a channel op, unless you did actually harass other users. In the meantime, feel free to ask your Mint questions in the forums.

Just for clarification: you were not banned from using Hexchat. Just a specific chat server (SpotChat). This seems to happen by accident sometimes.
The reply by CWW is well meant but doesn't really address the problem, as you were looking for support with Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Angel25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Angel25 »

I'm not banned from the channel I am banned from spotchat. I don't know who to contact.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

As channel ops, we don't generally use ip block bans, there's no need to do that. If we get a persistent user who can get a dynamic connection and keeps giving harassment for minutes and hours, then we would put up a block for the day.

Meglos is banned.

mynick is not.

I don't see it on our channel bans.

You can pm me, if you want to, with any other useful info like actual nick and/or ip is probably more useful.

I'll check into it further.

Return to “Beginner Questions”