How to change kernel in 19.3 XFCE?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

How to change kernel in 19.3 XFCE?

Post by Helmut »

I have a very old Pentium I 32bit laptop. It just needs to run Firefox for controlling some external equipment via GUI, and never sees the Internet.
It has Mint 19.3 in XFCE, and is running Kernel 5.4.xx
It also has a kernel 4.15 xx installed, but I would prefer to use that and purge the 5.4 kernel on this antique IBM X30 machine.

Question:
Since there is no screen to choose between kernels on startup, does somebody know how to switch kernels on startup?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to change kernel in 19.3 XFCE?

Post by Pjotr »

You can make the Grub bootloader menu visible like this:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... .html#ID10
(item 10, 10.1 and 10.2)

Then you can boot from the older kernel (it's tucked away under the header Advanced), after which you should be able to remove the newer kernel(s).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to change kernel in 19.3 XFCE?

Post by ThaCrip »

@ OP ; basically boot to the 4.15 kernel, then 'Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels' and remove all of the kernels newer than 4.15. then from now on when you reboot, it will remain on the 4.15 series kernel. NOTE: after all of that is done I would probably run 'sudo apt autoremove' (and answer yes (i.e. 'y')) which will remove any left over kernel junk. because I noticed if I remove a kernel in general through the Update Manager, while it's pretty much removed, there is still something like 70MB or so of left over junk per kernel I think, which that 'sudo apt autoremove' seems to get rid of.

NOTE: to boot to older kernel... reboot, then before Mint loads you press either ESC or SHIFT at the right time to bring up the boot menu, then select the 4.15 kernel. then you can follow what I mentioned above.
Pjotr wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:16 am You can make the Grub bootloader menu visible like this:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... .html#ID10
(item 10, 10.1 and 10.2)

Then you can boot from the older kernel (it's tucked away under the header Advanced), after which you should be able to remove the newer kernel(s).
Thanks to reading that I noticed the grub command prompt does happen if someone presses ESC too many times and I never knew how to get out of it, but now I do thanks for your post there with typing 'normal'. because prior to that I would just reboot and try to get the timing right.

p.s. but from what I can tell, it seems some computers use 'SHIFT' while others use 'ESC'. like my main PC (which I bought the motherboard in May 2012) uses ESC but I think my old computer from 2006 (bought this board in March 2006), uses SHIFT to access boot menu.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] How to change kernel in 19.3 XFCE?

Post by Helmut »

Thanks Pjotr! Your a true Master!
After having made the formerly invisible boot screen visible by repeated and rapid "escape", I could finally choose the desired kernel.
It booted and then I easily and simply removed the unwanted kernel via update manager.

Return to “Beginner Questions”