M6600 touchscreen help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jlight2
Level 1
Level 1

M6600 touchscreen help

Post by jlight2 »

Hey Everyone!

A few years ago I loaded a Dell Precision M6600 with Linux Mint 18 and had a hell of a time getting the touchscreen turned off. The pointer just bounced all over the screen opening apps and screwing stuff up. I posted on here and after a couple days of trial and error a solution was reached.

Here's that forum post: viewtopic.php?t=282302

SO.....the M6600 had a fatal hard drive crash last week and I tossed a new HDD in it. I loaded Mint 20.1 on it and now I've got that same problem again.

I went back and looked at the forum and found the solution....but I can not remember how to load that code into the system. The first step is to build a file in the "Home Folder" and I can't recall how we did that. I can cut and paste the code, but I can't seem to figure out where to paste it.

I run Mint on everything now, but this M6600 is a great machine and I'd really like to have it operational again.

Any ideas??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: M6600 touchscreen help

Post by SMG »

jlight2 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:48 amI went back and looked at the forum and found the solution....but I can not remember how to load that code into the system. The first step is to build a file in the "Home Folder" and I can't recall how we did that. I can cut and paste the code, but I can't seem to figure out where to paste it.
I would presume you cut and paste the code into a text editor and then save the file. I'm using Cinnamon and xed is the graphical text editor, but you could also use "nano" in a terminal. Go to your Menu button and look for a "text editor" program.

Looking at your post with the code, I would guess you saved the file in your home directory with the name 10disable-touchscreen because you then copy (cp) that file to the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ directory.

Do you have a backup of your home directory from the prior install? If so, you may already have a copy of that file and just need to put a copy in the the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ directory.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”