Mint File problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LutherT
Level 1
Level 1

Mint File problems

Post by LutherT »

I have only been on Mint for about 6 months. I have done several updates and recently updated to Mint 2.0. I had several errors on upgrades lately, and didn't know what to do about them. I usually use the file manager to open files, but today noticed that none of the desktop icons go anywhere (can't find), I tried to copy a folder with from the file manger (with 400-500 files on it) to the desktop (although it was already showing there) and it wouldn't replace the defective icon, So I deleted the defective icon on the desktop , thinking if it also deleted the one in the file manager, I could always restore it. When I deleted it, they both disappeared, and there was nothing in the trash. Where did all that do? Is it recoverable? I didn't know if rebooting would hurt my recovery efforts. HELP!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint File problems

Post by Aztaroth »

Hello,
1) if the files aren't in the trash, it will be difficult to get them back.
2) Are these files personal files or system files ?
This question because you seem to have messed up with the system and if doesn't harm personal data, I'd suggest a complete reinstall from the USB Key.

However, you should read this topic :

Code: Select all

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=318644
and post your system info if you want more precise help or advise.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)

Return to “Beginner Questions”