Login Loop difficulties on Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pyotrquackington
Level 1
Level 1

Login Loop difficulties on Linux Mint

Post by pyotrquackington »

Hello, I am new here so I apologize if I'm not following the rules properly. I am also a complete computer newb, and I have no idea how operating systems work, let alone Linux which seems to be more sophisticated.

So I was stuck on a login loop and began reading this article: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=330010&p=1884217

But, after the first step of doing ctrl+alt+f1, I have no idea where to go.

The screen reads:

Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia Pretzeiumc tty1
Pretzeiumc login:

But I have no idea what to type here, and whatever I type, it then asks for a password. My login password I then type in, but it says incorrect password.

OH LORD HAVE MERCY UPON ME!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pyotrquackington
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Login Loop difficulties on Linux Mint

Anybody have any advice?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

pyotrquackington wrote: But I have no idea what to type here ...
You must first enter your correct user name at the login: prompt. Then your password should work thereafter.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Thus pyotrquackington type your user name, press enter, then type your password ( even if you might not see extra characters or a moving cursor to indicate that character or characters have been typed..do it anyways...) , press enter .... Then we take it from there.

Try to calm down and breath. People like JoeFootball, KadaitchaMan, SMG, and many many others here are Linux veterans and most if not all of them are very active on this site. We'll find a way to get through this.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
pyotrquackington
Level 1
Level 1

JoeFootball wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:01 pm
pyotrquackington wrote: But I have no idea what to type here ...
You must first enter your correct user name at the login: prompt. Then your password should work thereafter.
Thank you I will try to figure out.
pyotrquackington
Level 1
Level 1

Also, thank you so much for your concern Linux comrades.
I'm going to contact the place where I got my laptop in Portland: https://www.freegeek.org/

Return to “Beginner Questions”