Connecting to Wifi with WEP Autentification

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
secretagent667
Level 1
Level 1

Connecting to Wifi with WEP Autentification

Post by secretagent667 »

Hi all,

I live in a shared house and cannot really change the router security settings. However, while installing Mint I can only use WPA, is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance.

David
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kuifje09
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Connecting to Wifi with WEP Autentification

Post by kuifje09 »

First I don't think there is a way to change this, but I naver had problems with it, because using wpa2 is way much better.
But maybe someone else know a way to get wep active instead of wpa(2)

The best advice here is to tell the owner of the router(s) to change the security settings.

[url}
https://www.howtogeek.com/167783/htg-ex ... t-matters/
[/url]
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

secretagent667 wrote: ... while installing Mint I can only use WPA ...
I've not attempted an installation using a WEP connection, but would you be open to installing without any network connection, and then subsequently update everything via WEP thereafter?

Edit: Fixed where meant to say WEP.
Last edited by JoeFootball on Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

As far as I know only the owner of the router can change the security settings. WPA2 is the most secure whereas WEP is the weakest. The mint installation will detect the wifi and use it's security settings.

Return to “Beginner Questions”