how to get xeoma to work

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
corvairbob
Level 1
Level 1

how to get xeoma to work

Post by corvairbob »

i downloaded xeoma on both the win and linux pcs and on the window pc it opens but it will not anything. it comes up and want any camera username and password, so i enter that info and nothing happens.

so i go to linux mint and i see the file in tgz and also an exe and these will not do a thing in linux. i see it in the menu under downloads in the exe main file but when i click that i do not see anything that looks like it will run the program all the file types are unknown.

i go to menu downloads and again i see xeoma in the tgz and that does nothing so i go to software manager and nothing shows, so i type xeoma inthe searh box and it looks in the repository's and nothing found.

so any ideas. this app looks like it might do what i would like but getting it to open is a bear. i see both of them in downloads the tgz is a folder and the exe is a cog but shaded so that may not do anything.

i did a youtube for xeoma and how they showed to starti did not work on mint but did do something in windows but again when i entered my camera ip address and passwords it found 5 cameras somewhere but not mine. now it may be that is due to the fact my cameras do not use port 80 i have them using 5 digit ports numbers. anyway are there ways to get this app to work? if i can get it to go in windows then i will remove mint form that asus pc and go back to windows thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Re: how to get xeoma to work

Post by ralplpcr »

A .tgz file is a compressed archive - - think of it like a .zip file, just with a different extension. I can see that it contains a single xeoma.app within, which leads me to believe it may be an installer-type of file? Did you extract this file, and apply an executable bit to it before trying to run?

As far as your question about ports, I've got no clue. Xeoma is not an application from the Linux Mint software manager, so any advice we could provide would be minimal. You'd need to contact the developer to troubleshoot for the best advice. I think if you can get it to install & run, that would be your first step. But since it's not an application many on here might have, your best bet is to contact Xeoma.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: how to get xeoma to work

Post by AndyMH »

Don't use it, but have looked at it in the past.

The linux download is a tar.gz, extract it somewhere. Then run xeoma.app (double click on it in your file manager). Just tried it and was surprised, it found my POE IP cameras and showed them. Didn't bother installing. I have installed it in the past, didn't find the user interface that easy to understand, but I did find that Xeoma tech support was good.
xeoma.JPG
Xeoma was the 'best' linux solution I found for CCTV but in the end I bought a synology NAS and used their surveillance station software.

If you google, the other linux solution you will find is zoneminder - don't bother! I found it a pig to install and when I finally got it working I thought it was a dreadful user interface.

Good luck!

Note - if you haven't worked it out already windows programs, e.g. .exe, do NOT work in linux.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”