Linux Mint (all editions excluding LMDE) slower than Windows 10

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint (all editions excluding LMDE) slower than Windows 10

Post by newlyminted7 »

t42 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:36 pm
newlyminted7 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:08 pm Well, it was implied, since I offered a solution in that same post.
Exactly. You can't imply much here addressing someone who can be less knowledgeable.
Except I did provide a solution, which means he didn't need to successfully make the inference. You, however should have caught the implicaton ;)
t42 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:36 pm "Don't you also need other packages installed?"
No additional packages were installed as I remember.
"Do you get more/less usage than that? "
CPU was about 25 per cent, but it was just experiment with CPU/GPU combination which didn't promise sensible gain.
I managed to figure out how to pass the VA-API flag to my Flatpak version of Ungoogled Chromium (with the help of one of the earlier links I provided: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2021/01/h ... rated.html), and I see about a further 10-15% reduction in CPU Usage while playing back Youtube video, which is pretty good. I used the command flatpak run com.github.Eloston.UngoogledChromium --use-gl=desktop --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecoder

Thanks for bringing that up as it prompted me to look at these options again.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

ssd hard drive
It's either a ssd, or it is a hard drive..otherwise..you're talking about a hybrid drive in which more than 80% of the storage capacity...total of the physical drive is a spinning disc hard drive and a small portion is nand flash with a controller ( basically...ssd) which are most commonly found in laptops.

The OP would be better off just buying a flat out ssd with a reasonable size and being done with it..not a hybrid drive.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

CallMeJames wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:28 pm Hey everyone, i recently just got a new laptop, and i've tried linux mint cinnamon, mate and xfce. Compared to windows 10, all three have worse performance, from watching videos on youtube, to opening software, to gaming. i've checked and i installed linux on my ssd, deleting windows. And still, i couldn't find a way to speed up performance and enjoy linux as i once did on my old laptop. Might be hardware related, but if possible, i'd prefer to use linux mint as it's my favorite distro.
Some guys told you before, but if the laptop is certainly new for you it certainly isn't new out-of-the factory.
About your title topic, isn't the answer in the title : use LMDE4 ! It's faster because it's not ubuntued and could be a real deal if the differences with the normal version don't matter for you.
Or, if you absolutely want to use classic Mint, don't use 20.x versions : try 19.3 Tricia. 20.x are becoming too heavy for computers like yours, even in their XFCE versions.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Maybe one day actually post your system info output as mentioned in the above pink/red box. It shows a lot more info than just saying 1.8GHz dual core Celeron with 4GB. That might be the context, but far from the actual situation at hand where the point of the thread started.

speaking in generalities, like what we're doing here, just not really going on the exact info at hand, well, it's just a generalized chat, with obvious varying degrees of result, as we all kinda get that with all the different setups.

I see someone in IRC saying hey everything is slow, I want to say prove it and show me the system info output and show me that all the cpu cores are maxed, or ram is completely full and we are running 100% using swap, or both, and then we can start talking about a solution.

Anyway, good chat.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Sorry to sound like a " i'll just jump on this agreement train and look cool" but zcot is right

Without that inxi -Fxxxrz report.... too much generalization involved. No concrete narrowing-down evidence to see. *Shrugs*
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

motoryzen wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:58 pm Sorry to sound like a " i'll just jump on this agreement train and look cool" but zcot is right

Without that inxi -Fxxxrz report.... too much generalization involved. No concrete narrowing-down evidence to see. *Shrugs*
Well, all the general banter is good info, but I'm wondering about specifics.

maybe we can dig it out. :P

Return to “Beginner Questions”