Any way to add Mac HFS+ filesystem support for WRITING to disks?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Any way to add Mac HFS+ filesystem support for WRITING to disks?

Post by darkstrike »

Hi all - not a big deal if I can't do this as I can just lend the lady a flash/external hard drive of my own...

Long story short, I have a lady who has a dying iPhone and asked me to get her data off...the thing is, the only external hard drive she gave me is Mac-formatted. She doesn't have a Mac computer at home at the moment, so she can't get the data off her self. I don't partake in the Apple ecosystem (though I know my way around it), so I don't have any Mac computers here either.

That being said, I do have several Linux (2 x Linux Mint 20.2 MATE, 1 x MX Linux 19.4) systems and 1 Win10 desktop PC. Windows can't read OR write to Mac filesystems, but I know Mint and MX can natively READ from them.

I managed to copy the data off her iPhone using my Win10 desktop, but it would be nice to be able to copy it to her own external drive where the rest of her data already is.

Now, the data on her external drive means a LOT to her as her grandfather is currently dying (very sad :( ) and she has a lot of photos and videos on the drive of him she would never want to risk losing.

Is there a way to get HFS+ WRITING on Mint that wouldn't jeopardize her data on that drive in any way? Otherwise, I think I might be able to find a drive to temporarily lend her that I could put the data on....I'm just not 100% sure I have one and it's a LOT of data. (Mostly videos and photos....thousands of them and over 100GB worth...)

Thanks for any help! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Any way to add Mac HFS+ filesystem support for WRITING to disks?

Post by ajgringo619 »

Check out the hfsutils package; never used it myself (don't own any Apple products).

Return to “Beginner Questions”