(SOLVED) What Partitions like "Microsoft Reserved" do?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Helaxious
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED) What Partitions like "Microsoft Reserved" do?

Post by Helaxious »

Good night, I've recently deleted 2 windows partitions on my laptop, and something peaked my interest,
even though I only have linux mint installed, there's still some partitions left, I don't know what these are, and what they do.

I'm not asking for any help on any issue, i'm just curious.

Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-08-01 20-56-42.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What Partitions like "Microsoft Reserved" do?

Post by Helmut »

As far as I know, that is a compressed "restore" copy of Windows without any user-related data.
On some manufacturers machines, it also has proprietary software/shareware of very limited use to the customer that seems to attempt making the customer become more closely attached to the vendor in a deeper customer-relationship than without that proprietary crap.
I have seen those partitions before and deleted them without hesitating and never regretted it.

On your particular machine, you could make better use of the drive by using freed-up space, and it doesn't look like Mint or any other good OS is currently on it! This is the Linux Mint forum, you know!
A fresh Mint install gives you many good options during install, resulting in a decent workable system. Later you may want to consider how you want to backup your data. There are plenty of threads to that in this forum, and Mint also has a backup tool as standard.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

quite often, there is literally nothing in there.
:o
no files, nothing .. safe to Delete, in fact.

sometimes, there is some files, but it's not always clear, as to what purpose they are serving.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I just entered the thread title into startpage and got this, much faster than any forum:

https://startpage.com/do/dsearch?query= ... ge=english
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Helaxious
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Helaxious »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:06 am I just entered the thread title into startpage and got this, much faster than any forum:

Weird, i'm trying to enter the link, but the website isn't letting me, it says my Internet connection was prevented to access

But i guess searching the same thing on google should give the same results
Helaxious
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Helaxious »

Pierre wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:13 am quite often, there is literally nothing in there.
:o
no files, nothing .. safe to Delete, in fact.

sometimes, there is some files, but it's not always clear, as to what purpose they are serving.
So it's safe to delete every partition except the Linux mint one and Efi System?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

with those Microsoft Partitions :?:
- - YES - -
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Helaxious wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:17 pm
Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:06 am I just entered the thread title into startpage and got this, much faster than any forum:

Weird, i'm trying to enter the link, but the website isn't letting me, it says my Internet connection was prevented to access

But i guess searching the same thing on google should give the same results
You may have to install the startpage search engine but I've linked lkike that before with no mentions of issues. Actually I get much better search results with startpage than google or duckduckgo, that's why I use it. Not a privacy nut here.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Helaxious
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Helaxious »

Ok, i've successfully deleted the partitions on my system, and everything seems to be running fine,
thanks for the help everyone!

Return to “Beginner Questions”