Viewing files on second drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dTardis
Level 1
Level 1

Viewing files on second drive

Post by dTardis »

So I’m new to Linux in general. I apologize if this is a dumb question.
I have a NUC with 2 hard drives. The boot drive is 500GB and the second is 1TB.
I’m trying to use a Docker based app for document management. It is working just fine.

My problem is how I can view these files in the file system.

If I open up files on the desktop. I can see the 1TB drive. I open it and I see the file structure. But as I drill down there are no files. I know the files exist though. If I go a different route. Say I go through the file structure. I go /media/<user>/<drive name>/<folder structure> the files show up just fine. But if I go /mnt/<some stuff>/<file structure > the files don’t show up. I’m just not sure why this is. I seem to be going to the same place just in different ways, but depending on how I get there will affect whether I can see the files.

Am I don’t something wrong here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Viewing files on second drive

Post by gittiest personITW »

Welcome to the forums.

Are you asking why you can't access the files if you look in a folder where the files are not mounted?

Can you go into Disks app, click the drive you have mounted, click the settings (cogs) and see where it is mounted.
That is where your files are.

Or, is it a permissions issue - but one thing at a time. Do the above first and see if that helps.
dTardis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dTardis »

gittiest personITW wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:35 pm Are you asking why you can't access the files if you look in a folder where the files are not mounted?

Can you go into Disks app, click the drive you have mounted, click the settings (cogs) and see where it is mounted.
That is where your files are.
I guess that is what I am asking. Why can I see the files and folders when I go through where the drive is mounted to the filesystem, but when I just click on the drive I only see the folders and not any of the files. It just seems that both processes end up in the same place but I get different results.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

dTardis wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:09 pm So I’m new to Linux in general. I apologize if this is a dumb question.
I have a NUC with 2 hard drives. The boot drive is 500GB and the second is 1TB.
I’m trying to use a Docker based app for document management. It is working just fine.

My problem is how I can view these files in the file system.

If I open up files on the desktop. I can see the 1TB drive. I open it and I see the file structure. But as I drill down there are no files. I know the files exist though. If I go a different route. Say I go through the file structure. I go /media/<user>/<drive name>/<folder structure> the files show up just fine. But if I go /mnt/<some stuff>/<file structure > the files don’t show up. I’m just not sure why this is. I seem to be going to the same place just in different ways, but depending on how I get there will affect whether I can see the files.

Am I don’t something wrong here?
You're talking about two different branches in the system; /mnt and /media
It's mounted in one or the other, not both. I'm guessing your files are mounted in the /media path

Consider /mnt and /media two branches of the same river. If you throw a ping pong ball into the head of the river, it will float down only one of the branches.. not both branches.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

revmacian wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:03 pm
Consider /mnt and /media two branches of the same river. If you throw a ping pong ball into the head of the river, it will float down only one of the branches.. not both branches.
If you look to see where the ball ends up, will your cat be ok?
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

gittiest personITW wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:06 pm
revmacian wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:03 pm
If you look to see where the ball ends up, will your cat be ok?
Only if this week was next week last week :wink:
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Good. :lol:
dTardis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dTardis »

revmacian wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:03 pm You're talking about two different branches in the system; /mnt and /media
It's mounted in one or the other, not both. I'm guessing your files are mounted in the /media path

OK than works. Thank you.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

dTardis wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:28 pm
revmacian wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:03 pm You're talking about two different branches in the system; /mnt and /media

OK than works. Thank you.
You're welcome :D
US Navy, NEC HM8404
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

revmacian wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:03 pm If you throw a ping pong ball into the head of the river, it will float down only one of the branches.. not both branches.
You need to brush up on your modern physics. That's a 1600s clockwork universe idea and way behind the times.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:19 pm
revmacian wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:03 pm If you throw a ping pong ball into the head of the river, it will float down only one of the branches.. not both branches.
You need to brush up on your modern physics. That's a 1600s clockwork universe idea and way behind the times.
There is nothing wrong with my statement.. I've actually thrown a ball into a creek and watched where it floated. I know what I'm doing.
US Navy, NEC HM8404

Return to “Beginner Questions”