Login loop__ "/dev/mapper/vgmint-root" Use% 100% full

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thinkpad3469
Level 1
Level 1

Login loop__ "/dev/mapper/vgmint-root" Use% 100% full

Post by thinkpad3469 »

Hi,

I apologize in advance if I missed a thread somewhere in my search on this forum.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T410 (120GB SSD; LM 20, I think, with an encrypted hard drive) that has a login loop, typing on another main computer. I'm new to Linux, and can only do basic getting around stuff.

I remember the problem being like this one: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=354020&hilit=login+loop , where there is low disk space, and being asked to examine, empty trash, or ignore.

I believe the problem is related to having timeshift take snapshots of system files and/or updating using the software manager. This happened months ago and I was able to login somehow, by maybe using cleaning commands or other commands from various websites, and I thought I changed settings in timeshift to avoid this problem again. But then I think I tried to update the software via software manager.

I found this thread: "viewtopic.php?f=90&t=341769&hilit=login+loop", which linked to this page: "viewtopic.php?p=1769597#p1769597", where I followed the instructions and entered [df -h | egrep "^/dev/|Filesystem"] ,
and the result was: (/dev/mapper/vgmint-root 108G 103G 0 100% /) (Size, used, avail, use%, mounted on). So, I think the "xauthority" is not the issue.

So, I followed the instructions to do the cleaning again, just now, here: "viewtopic.php?f=90&t=253502", and tried rebooting, but this didn't work.

Then I tried to delete the old kernels, found this website:https://phoenixnap.com/kb/ubuntu-remove-old-kernels
and used: [dpkg -l | tail -n +6 | grep -E 'linux-image-[0-9]+' | grep -Fv $(uname -r)]
and tried to delete the old kernels using [sudo dpkg --purge linux-image-5.4.0.26-generic]
but was met with dependency problems, and it didn't work

I followed the thread until I saw the changing of the root reserved percentage to 0, but that didn't work either, and that was the end of the thread.
Doing [df -h] gives the same full file line as mentioned above and next was "/dev/sda5" full at 47% as the next full file.

I was able to go in from a bootable drive and get the files off it; didn't use it much after i clean installed, and then this login loop happened, and left for months. So, I could clean install, but I want to find the root problem so I can avoid it, and fix it should it happen again with important stuff on computer. On my main computer I'm typing on, I want to change this OS, and so want to get broken computer to work to do so, so I have at least one working computer.

I am looking for any help regarding this.
Thank-you for reading.

thinkpad3469
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thinkpad3469
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Login loop__ "/dev/mapper/vgmint-root" Use% 100% full

Post by thinkpad3469 »

Update:
From this forum: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=347950&hilit=login+loop
Using bootable flash drive, tried to go to file manager and delete files in Downloads folder, but unable to delete.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

I advise you to reinstall, without encryption.

No point in encrypting stuff for the sake of it. Most people don't need to encrypt much if any of their data unless for some specific reason, eg if you're a lawyer and hold sensitive info for clients then that would make sense. But when I read about users encrypting their music files, holiday photos etc. I mean, seriously?

Don't use encryption unless you really need to, and you understand the basics about encryption keys, recovery, and exporting/ importing them.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
thinkpad3469
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thinkpad3469 »

Larry78723,

Thank-you for your reply. Yes, it probably makes the most sense to password protect only certain files, and looked at using "Gnome Encfs Manager" to encrypt. I thought a once and done, mentally simple, encrypt the whole drive would work out best. If you have any thoughts on other simple 'padlock' password lock and unlock for folders processes or applications, feel free to share.

I would still like to try to fix the problem, gain access to the thinkpad. I want to save all settings and copy all of the programs similar to this process before clean installing: https://helpdeskgeek.com/linux-tips/how ... -settings/ .

I got lost in this thread of saving data: viewtopic.php?t=245350 , but what appeals to me is the
"Post by bobk1948 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:34 pm" where s/he describes having all info on a separate hard disk, and then I just have to worry about saving to, and backing up that external drive if I move between 2 computers.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Re Encryption: I suggest using Veracrypt containers, I don't use them but have heard very good reviews.

Setting up a separate /home partition isn't really hard. We can guide you through it.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
thinkpad3469
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thinkpad3469 »

Larry78723,
Thank-you for your thoughts. I'll have to try and implement that later on.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

"Gnome Encfs Manager"
has been superseded
https://moritzmolch.com/apps/mencfsm.html
same author.

encfs does have some security issues, but adequate to deter the casual thief. I use both veracrypt and encfs. Veracrypt you have to define a container (a file) of fixed size, it gets mounted as another device in your file manager. encfs you encrypt a folder, e.g. $HOME/myencryptedfolder and when mounted appears as another folder, e.g. $HOME/myfolder. Look at the contents of $HOME/myencryptedfolder and you see a list of files with random names where the content of each file is encrypted. Add anything into $HOME/myfolder and it gets added to the encrypted folder.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”