What program do I need to open a shared library?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux4me
Level 1
Level 1

What program do I need to open a shared library?

Post by Linux4me »

Hello people. I have just changed over to Linux mint Cinnamon 64 bit OS. I am having some difficulty opening a file. The file is shared library (application/x-sharedlib). Any ideas on what I need to open it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: What program do I need to open a shared library?

Post by xenopeek »

Can we take a step back—what is it that you're actually trying to do that leads you to ask for help opening a shared library?

A shared library is a binary file with computer code that other programs can use. You can't run it as a program, you can't edit it or view it as a document.
Linux4me
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux4me »

I have installed Pirate Chain crypto wallet on my pc. Once I extracted the contents the only file I have which is the one I have mentioned just will not open and says Unknown file type The file "pirate-qt-linux" has no known programs associated with it. Use the Open With dialogue to pick a program to open it with. Question is what program do I need to open it? On windows it just used to open without any issue. This Linux is very different
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

Linux4me wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:54 am >>> This Linux is very different
You hit the nail on the head there! Linux is not windows, doesn't work like windows and won't run windows programs. You need to run linux programs, and the best place to start looking is in "Software Manager"
Linux4me
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux4me »

Ok, thanks. I have found a work around from another source. I like the whole Linux idea and I am grateful it exists I just need to learn how to use it. It is going to take some time
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

For some reason you need to start this pirate-qt-linux file from the terminal. This is not normal. This is some issue with this program was developed I'd guess.

If you're sure you trust this software, open your file manager and go to the directory where you have the pirate-qt-linux file. Right-click an empty spot in the directory and choose "Open in Terminal" from the menu. In the terminal use this command to start the program:
./pirate-qt-linux

Return to “Beginner Questions”