[SOLVED] 19.2 won't boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dvd8n
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] 19.2 won't boot

Post by dvd8n »

My Mint 19.2 Cinnamon installation froze while browsing.

I restarted the computer and the installation would not boot. I tried recovery mode and it said that my root filesystem /dev/sdc2 directory was corrupted - block 0 offset 0 and that I had to run fsck manually. A few questions:

- when I run fsck are there any particular parameters that I should use?
- when I run it should it be in the recovery console, booted from a usb stick, or from my 19.1 install (which still boots fine)?

Any other hints?

Thanks, David
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: 19.2 won't boot

Post by rene »

When you simply (try to) boot the 19.2 install, "recovery mode" or the normal entry, it should land you in the initramfs, i.e., at a textmode (initramfs) prompt from where you can run the fsck. Use fsck -fy /dev/sdc2. Use exit to continue the boot when it's done.

Block 0 offset 0 is a little suspicious; sounds like you overwrote the start of the partition and the fsck might as such not be succesful at repairing things...
dvd8n
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dvd8n »

Thanks, that seems to have fixed things.

Is it something that I did to corrupt the file system or was I just unlucky?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Unlucky I suppose. Generally speaking, any filesystem caches writes in memory and if the system freezes/crashes when data and/or metadata isn't fully synced to disk yet corruption is expected. I'd check the content of any files I had open at the time but as a rule it'll be fine now; likely only some e.g. browser cache entries that were damaged and are now "fixed".
dvd8n
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dvd8n »

Yes, I seem to have lost all my entire firefox set up.

It could be a lot worse...
dvd8n
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dvd8n »

Actually I'm more inclined to think that that's more to do with flipping between 19.1 and 19.2 and firefox helpfully tidying up my profile.
dvd8n
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dvd8n »

Anyway, thanks for the help - David

Return to “Beginner Questions”