[SOLVED]: Error in communicating to TPM Chip

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wanderer in the Fog
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]: Error in communicating to TPM Chip

Post by Wanderer in the Fog »

Yes I read many posts like this (viewtopic.php?t=323353), but I could not find a solution for me.

Dear Linux Mint family,

I bought used Thinkpads which I am changing from Win to Mint. I am on Number two. Number one went smooth and easy. Number two was difficult, and now when I start the T520 in three moments come some lines with this same info: Error in communicating to TPM Chip

I admit, I guessed my way through the BIOS and I might have an error in there. This one had a very aggressive Win on it and it took me hours to kill it. When the LM sign came on the screen I sang "We are the champions...", but with the restart came those lines. I have no clue.

From other posts it seems there must be something disabled or enabled in the BIOS - but what and where?
Many thanks for the help.

Wanderer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The pessimist sees the glass as half empty, the optimist sees it as half full; the outsourcing consultant will tell you that you have 50% too much glass!" -- Linux Mint Cinnamon on Thinkpad T520 and T530 since Jan 2020
Wanderer in the Fog
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Error in communicating to TPM Chip

Without a reason I see now a simple page saying:

GNU GRUB version 2.04

*Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Enhanced(?) Options for Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
"The pessimist sees the glass as half empty, the optimist sees it as half full; the outsourcing consultant will tell you that you have 50% too much glass!" -- Linux Mint Cinnamon on Thinkpad T520 and T530 since Jan 2020
BJZilberman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Error in communicating to TPM Chip

Post by BJZilberman »

Wanderer in the Fog wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:17 am Yes I read many posts like this (viewtopic.php?t=323353), but I could not find a solution for me.

Dear Linux Mint family,

I bought used Thinkpads which I am changing from Win to Mint. I am on Number two. Number one went smooth and easy. Number two was difficult, and now when I start the T520 in three moments come some lines with this same info: Error in communicating to TPM Chip

I admit, I guessed my way through the BIOS and I might have an error in there. This one had a very aggressive Win on it and it took me hours to kill it. When the LM sign came on the screen I sang "We are the champions...", but with the restart came those lines. I have no clue.

From other posts it seems there must be something disabled or enabled in the BIOS - but what and where?
Many thanks for the help.

Wanderer
Those are definitely BIOS related, although there are a couple of things you should look for, either:
  1. Enable TPM - Should be in the Security section of the BIOS
  2. Intel Platform Trust Technology - If TPM is not found, that's another thing that you should either enable/disable depending on its state
  3. Either way, all those settings or similar ones related to TPM are in the Security tab
Please let us know if you encounter anything else
Wanderer in the Fog wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:40 am Without a reason I see now a simple page saying:

GNU GRUB version 2.04

*Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Enhanced(?) Options for Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
You should take a look at this answer on Stack Overflow.
Wanderer in the Fog
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED]: Error in communicating to TPM Chip

Either way, all those settings or similar ones related to TPM are in the Security tab
HUGE Help! Thank you so much.

I checked on an other T520 the differences in the settings in BIOS Security. I found two, copied them and prayed. Wether the copy or the prayer worked. :-)

Under SECURITY is a line "Security chip" - 3 Options (Active, Inactive, Disabled)
Problem Thinkpad had Inactive - Copy Thinkpad has Disabled -- sounds same for my ears but I changed from Inactive to Disabled.

As well under SECURITY is a line "Anti Theft".
"Current setting" in Problem Thinkpad was Enabled, in Copy Thinkpad disabled. I changed to Disabled.

I guess the first one was the error, but i changed both and restarted - all seems fine it was a normal start.

Thanks again my friend.
Last edited by Wanderer in the Fog on Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJZilberman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: SOLVED(it seems): Error in communicating to TPM Chip

Post by BJZilberman »

Wanderer in the Fog wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:01 am
Either way, all those settings or similar ones related to TPM are in the Security tab
HUGE Help! Thank you so much.

I checked on an other T520 the differences in the settings in BIOS Security. I found two, copied them and prayed. Wether the copy or the prayer worked. :-)

Under SECURITY is a line "Security chip" - 3 Options (Active, Inactive, Disabled)
Problem Thinkpad had Inactive - Copy Thinkpad has Disabled -- sounds same for my ears but I changed from Inactive to Disabled.

As well under SECURITY is a line "Anti Theft".
"Current setting" in Problem Thinkpad was Enabled, in Copy Thinkpad disabled. I changed to Disabled.

I guess the first one was the error, but i changed both and restarted - all seems fine it was a normal start.

Thanks again my friend.
Glad to help. By what you're describing the problem has been solved. And if you don't need further assistance with it, you could kindly prepend to your topic's title the following tag: [SOLVED].

Return to “Beginner Questions”