Cannot get Printer working -[SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
medium2021
Level 2
Level 2

Cannot get Printer working -[SOLVED]

Post by medium2021 »

Hello
I tried to connect a new printer (Samsung M2020) so I can print. I downloaded the linux printer driver from HP (which bought Samsung and got a compressed file (uld_V1.00.39_01.17,tar.gz) which I do not now with what to do. I am using Linux Mint 20.2 and connecting my printer via USB cable. I tried connecting via the Mint "Printers" utility (my printer is not listed as a choice in the search for driver part) and "add printer" using via the printer icon and also an "easy installation of printer in Mint" page on the internet. Nothing seems to work, the printer shows as connected to host in the printer queue and an icon shows also, but I get an error message, telling me to cancel the print job. No printing.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank You
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Cannot get Printer working

Post by brian_p »

Just a longshot: give

Code: Select all

lsusb -v | grep -A 3 bInterfaceClass.*7
--
Brian.
medium2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by medium2021 »

Hi Brian
Thank you for your reply. I tried what you suggested, and it says the following:

Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
bInterfaceClass 7 Printer
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Printer
bInterfaceProtocol 2 Bidirectional
iInterface 0

I tried some more, and here is what came about when I tried troubleshooting: (sorry for all the detail)
Steps in connecting printer:
Samsung M2020 printer.
Computer running Mint 20.2

Printer turned on and connected to computer via USB cable.
Press: “Search”
Searching for printer
Mint printer utility (assumed) opens. Called “New Printer”
Searching for driver
Shows “Choose Driver”:
“Models” heading on left, “Drivers” on right, lists “Generic Text-Only printer en (Current)”
Offer of printer options and naming printer
--Attempt to print document opens print dialogue box, press “print” (single page libre office writer .rtf document. All seems
- normal)
Box: Printing page 1 of 1
Box with exclamation point within black triangle: “Could not start printer. Please check your printer configuration.
Hovering cursor over printer icon in tray shows “Printers” next to a printer icon and “name of printer” next to a check mark
- inside a circle.
Clicking on printer icon opens box called Printer – “Local Host”that shows “name of printer” and picture of printer with “name - of printer” with green check mark (default) and says “connected to local host”
--Tried troubleshooting. It suggested I choose “Publish shared printers connected to this system”
It asked to print a test page. I tried, and it did cause the printer to blink as if it was about to print, but it did not print.
Enabled debugging.
Troubleshoot.txt available.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Cannot get Printer working--new details added.

Post by Larry78723 »

Try setting it up as a "Generic Postscript Printer"
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
medium2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by medium2021 »

Thanks for your reply, Larry.
I power cycled the printer, and tried to reconnect, but could not get it to begin configuring again.
I will try power cycling the computer. Even thought I am running linux. I do not know what else to do.
Were I to guess, I do not think I could choose to reconfigure as you have suggested. In order to get any choice other than "Generic Text-Only printer en (Current)" I would need to choose the make and model number of my printer, which is not on the list on the left side of the screen under "Choose Driver".
Thanks again
Peter G.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Go to Menu > Printers > follow it's menu. Worked for me.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

medium2021 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:44 pm Hi Brian
Thank you for your reply. I tried what you suggested, and it says the following:

Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
bInterfaceClass 7 Printer
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Printer
bInterfaceProtocol 2 Bidirectional
iInterface 0
Thanks. What I had in mind will not work out. Your printer does not support IPP-over-USB. However, getting any response at all indicates the USB connection and cable are sound. OTOH, it does no harm to check: give

lpinfo -v
--
Brian.
medium2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by medium2021 »

Hi Brian
Thanks for your suggestion.
command yielded:
file cups-brf:/
network beh
network ipp
network http
network lpd
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS4?baud=115200
direct hp
network socket
network ipps
network https
network smb
direct hpfax
medium2021
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Cannot get Printer working--new details added need help installing driver

Post by medium2021 »

I would like to try deleting the computer from the printers group, and then installing the driver from the file: uld_V1.00.39_01.17.tar.gz which I have no problem unzipping. I have investigated several sets of directions about how to install, and I find no files named "readme", and the only install file is a shell script, with which I do not know what to do. There are no instructions at the HP site, save to install an HP linux utility, something like hplpp, but that does not seem run only freezes.
I need help getting that driver (which DOES exist with the tar.gz file) installed, and because I am new to linux, I need specific help.
Please do not send me to another set of instructions that tell me the file does not need installation, I need help installing the driver.
P.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

medium2021 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:37 am Hi Brian
Thanks for your suggestion.
command yielded:
network beh
network ipp
network http
network lpd
direct hp
network socket
network ipps
network https
network smb
direct hpfax
I did not expect this :( . There should be a line beginning direct usb. What is shown by

lsusb

sudo /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb
--
Brian.
medium2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by medium2021 »

Thanks, Brian

lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 8087:07dc Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 064e:9404 Suyin Corp. VGA Webcam
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

then

sudo /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb:
[sudo] password for khagan0:
DEBUG: Loading USB quirks from "/usr/share/cups/usb".
DEBUG: Loaded 181 quirks.
DEBUG: list_devices
DEBUG: libusb_get_device_list=5

then (again)

lpinfo -v:
network beh
network lpd
network http
network ipp
network https
network socket
network ipps
direct hp
network smb
direct hpfax

Still,no "direct USB". Looks the same as before.

What do you think of my trying to "install" the tar.gz I got from HP which includes a driver for the M2020 series printer (I've seen it). I just do not know what to do with the tar.gz file. I looked at a number of sets of instructions on the internet (searching "install tar.gz file in mint"). Some said there was no need to install, others said I look to HP for instructions (they had me download an HP linux printer utility, [ hplip-3.21.6.run], which only froze when I tried to "run") or I should find a file in the tar.gz called "readme" or "install". There is no "readme" and the only install was a shell script which I also do not know what to do with. I am getting very frustrated, and can only think to delete the printer from my Mint printers (utility) and try to install that tar.gz file, but I am absolutely stumped about what to do with the tar.gz . I am new linux and Mint.
Thanks, sorrry
P.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

Speaking from other versions of Mint (LMDE4 and Mint 19.3), I may not be able to help you to solve all your problems if related to this specific version of Mint, but for the driver installation I can (I'm using Samsung M2026W with a driver for the M2020 family from Samsung).

Step 1 : Create a Samsung_Drive (or any name you choose) folder somewhere, move your downloaded tar.gz in it and decompress it.

Step 2 : Open your folder in the terminal.

Step 3 : Each downloaded file is 'deactivated' in Linux, so you have to give execution rights to install.sh which we will do with the following command line (it can also be done with Nemo's file properties, but as we are in the Terminal, let's use it)

chmod +x install.sh
Step 4 : install.sh must be run as super-user, so :

sudo ./install.sh
Type your password and it should start.

PS : the driver is very touchy when reading the licence. If you just quickly move to then end, you may pass the moment when it asks for your agreement and you'll have to begin the process again. A little tip : the licence has 10 chapters, you can move till 7-8 quickly, but slow down then.
Other configuration details :
- It will also ask if the firewall should be configured to allow network-printing. In doubt, answer y (yes). A n(no) would mean you'll never use a firewall or you will have to configure your printer manually.
- if you use it as a network-printer and you're using a VPN, be sure the VPN allows local network sharing.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
medium2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by medium2021 »

Hi Aztaroth
Thank you for your help and reply for what I asked. I am already doing something wrong, or your instructions are too complex or unfamiliar to me.
I started by copying and pasting the contents of the uncompressed folder into a terminal. Otherwise, I do not understand how to open a folder into a terminal. --
The folders pasted into the folder say after them "is a directory". The files (shell scripts) say after them "root privileges are required." This is the execution rights of which you speak. --
I cut and pasted "chmod +x install.sh" both after the "root privileges are required" statement and also at the beginning of line of a new terminal (i could not figure out which so I tried both). --
Either case, it returns "chmod: No such file or directory" or "chmod: cannot access 'install.sh': No such file or directory"--
Just for grins I put "sudo ./install.sh" in after a new beginning line of a terminal. It asked for my password, and then told me "sudo: ./install.sh: command not found".
I am not sure what I did or did not do to follow your instructions. Please forgive that I am a new linux user.
I can provide a cut and pasted record from the terminal in pastebin or your favourite similar utility.
Thanks again, and let me know what to do different.
P
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

medium2021 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:06 pm Thanks, Brian

lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
No printer shown Not good.

then

sudo /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb:
[sudo] password for khagan0:
DEBUG: Loading USB quirks from "/usr/share/cups/usb".
DEBUG: Loaded 181 quirks.
DEBUG: list_devices
DEBUG: libusb_get_device_list=
CUPS does not discover the printer. Not good.

then (again)

lpinfo -v:
network beh
network lpd
network http
network ipp
network https
network socket
network ipps
direct hp
network smb
direct hpfax

Still,no "direct USB". Looks the same as before.
Same as before. The system and CUPS do not see any printer.

What do you think of my trying to "install" the tar.gz I got from HP which includes a driver for the M2020 series printer (I've seen it). I just do not know what to do with the tar.gz file. I looked at a number of sets of instructions on the internet (searching "install tar.gz file in mint"). Some said there was no need to install, others said I look to HP for instructions (they had me download an HP linux printer utility, [ hplip-3.21.6.run], which only froze when I tried to "run") or I should find a file in the tar.gz called "readme" or "install". There is no "readme" and the only install was a shell script which I also do not know what to do with. I am getting very frustrated, and can only think to delete the printer from my Mint printers (utility) and try to install that tar.gz file, but I am absolutely stumped about what to do with the tar.gz . I am new linux and Mint.
Thanks, sorrry
P.
The tar.gz has nothing to do with the issue of lsusb, etc not discovering a device. ULD cannot do anything if there isn't anything to connect with.

What perplexes me is that you got an lsusb -v output but nothing from lsusb. Do you still get the same behaviour?

Try changing the USB cable and USB port.
--
Brian.
medium2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by medium2021 »

Hi Brian
I deleted the printer from the Mint printer utility, tried a different USB cable and the other USB port on my laptop. If you meant I should somehow change the number of the USB port in my computer, I will need instructions for that.
I did get a different result (Bus 001 Device 005, and [*]direct USB)

lsusb
-->Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04e8:3321 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd M2020 Series

lpinfo -v:

network beh
network http
network ipp
network https
network lpd
direct hp
network socket
network ipps
-->direct usb://Samsung/M2020%20Series?serial=070MB8GK6B00BEF
network smb
direct hpfax

Better news?
P.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I downloaded the whole Samsung package from here:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/conte ... .91.tar.gz

Then I create a new folder "Samsung M2020 Drivers" in the Download folder and extract the Samsung tar.gz file here - which results in the new folder "uld".
In the new "uld" folder you will find the PPD file belonging to your Samsung M2020 printer:

Move this PPD for the M2020 (just this one) to the folder "Samsung M2020 Drivers"

Open the printer settings and create a new printer. In the selection dialog that opens, navigate directly to this PPD file in the folder created above, select this PPD and save. A new printer should now be created with this PPD settings.

Make a first print attempt ... I cannot guarantee that it will work - it's definitely worth a try and it is done quickly.
medium2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by medium2021 »

Hi absque fenestris
If I have the M2020 printer connected, it shows the printer in the middle of the first dialog box (called Printer-localhost) and still says connected to local host) and under Settings, in the second dialog box (called New Printer) one of the choices on the left is the Samsung M2020.
Under New, I get another dialog box (called New Printer) divided in two. On the left I have the choice of five devices: Generic CUPS- BRF, Serial Port #1, Serial Port #5, Enter URI, or Network Printer, and under that, Find Network Printer. On the right side of the new dialog box, there is a box for me to enter the URI. It states: For Example: ipp://cups-server printer queue or ipp://printer.mydomain/ipp
In this new dialog box, if I choose Generic CUPS- BRF and press advance, it begins to search for a driver. I would include a screenshot of this second dialog box, but when I press "take a screen shot" it disappears.It takes a long time to search from a database, and finally lets me navigate over to the saved PPD driver.
I tried twice to navigate over to the PPD file when it allowed me to "provide a PPD file". But when I try to print a test page, it gives an error message "There is a problem printing the test page job # 16, stopping job because scheduler could not find a filter"
I think I have installed the printer driver, it says it is missing when I try to configure the printer. In choose driver, it shows the M2020 PPD I have installed. When I indicate to add the printer it gives me the message "Printer Samsung M2020 Series 2 requires the usr/libs/cups/filter/-rasterspol program but it is not currently installed. Please install it before using the printer."

Now I am very frustrated and need to go eat dinner. I have been working on this for more than 28 hours and I am getting furious. It should not be this hard. I installed a driver and package on a previous Xubuntu laptop for the same printer and it took 15 minutes. I still cannot print.
Thanks for your help and let me know how to install usr/libs/cups/filter/-rasterspol or whatever silliness I have to do next.
P.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Samsung ULD driver

Post by pdc_2 »

assuming that uld_V1.00.39_01.17,tar.gz landed into your Downloads folder; and there is still a copy of it there ...........

..... if you open a terminal;

.... how to do that? ........either hold down the Control and Alt and t keys ........ or click on the black TV screen on the menu bar;

..... terminal is open?? ...... well if you copy each of the commands below; then PASTE them into the terminal;

.. how do you paste into the terminal you ask? If you practice right-clicking; just to the right of the flashing light in the terminal line; you should get a PASTE option

.... you find it ok? Well then; copy each of the commands below; paste them into the terminal and hit the ENTER key after each paste

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf uld_V1.00.39_01.17,tar.gz

cd uld

./install.sh
..... if it doesn't obey that, then use

sudo ./install.sh
.. any joy?
medium2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by medium2021 »

Hi pdc_2
Thanks for the instructions and enjoyable sarcasm.
No joy, and I am not sure why:
cd Downloads
computerAC:~/Downloads$ tar -zxvf uld_V1.00.39_01.17,tar.gz
tar (child): uld_V1.00.39_01.17,tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

computerAC:~/Downloads$ cd uld
bash: cd: uld: No such file or directory
computerAC:~/Downloads$ ./install.sh
bash: ./install.sh: No such file or

I solemnly promise the file is in my downloads, and it is attached via screenshot. Unless I missed something.
And since there is more for you to know, the right click works poorly on the touchpad of my laptop which came with Mint
Yours and best
P.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-08-06 18-51-07.png
medium2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by medium2021 »

I just remembered I have a troubleshooting.txt generated by the printer function, which I can send via pastebin or your choice.. FWIW.
P

Return to “Beginner Questions”