Nautilus doesn't show tar.gz

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Supamarioana

Nautilus doesn't show tar.gz

Post by Supamarioana »

Hello guys,

Today I installed my first Linux OS and thus have a lot of questions. :)
One is: When I download a tar.gz file to my desktop, why doesn't it show on the desktop or in nautilus? I am able to see it in the terminal. And I can see the file in nautilus, when I "open as root". I can see why it makes sense to only allow root to open these files, but why must I be root to just SEE them? And is there something I can (permanently) do about that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: Nautilus doesn't show tar.gz

Post by MaddogF16 »

Check your settings in Mintdesktop, in the menu under system >> preferences >> Mintdesktop
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

You might be able to do it with a nautilus script, but all that does is enable you to use an archiver or terminal or other method to see, and use a tar file, nautilus itself is not doing it natively..
http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/114134

I don't think nautilus can do it, as well as there being various bugs with file icons for tar files and other file types
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linu ... iving.html
http://vault.centos.org/4.4/docs/html/r ... iving.html
File roller, with nautilus..
Supamarioana

Post by Supamarioana »

Well, I started Mint today and everything was fine. Perhaps some configurations just needed a reboot...
But thanks for helping anyway
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Supamarioana wrote:Well, I started Mint today and everything was fine. Perhaps some configurations just needed a reboot... But thanks for helping anyway
Really, so how do you show a tar file within nautilus ?
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Supamarioana wrote:One is: When I download a tar.gz file to my desktop, why doesn't it show on the desktop or in nautilus?
I bet the file was where it should be - ie in the directory to which you downloaded it and when you went into nautilus you simply did not navigate to the correct directory where the .tar.gz file was. Am I correct?
Supamarioana

Post by Supamarioana »

lagagnon wrote:Am I correct?
No, it was like I said: I started my computer and could see the files on my desktop. I already tried a restart the day before but it didn't help then. The files were where they were supposed to be (it's not that difficult to find the ~/Desktop folder :wink: ). Never had that problem again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”