New member / stupid question...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sid Law
Level 1
Level 1

New member / stupid question...

Post by Sid Law »

Hello, everybody (anybody reading this...); I'm a bit new to forums (fora?), and maybe not too conversant with the procedures and etiquette, so please bear with me and please be reasonable; Thank you, in advance...

I've been cranking computers since last millennium - 'ndoze 3.1 through 95, 98, NT, XP (inc. the rudiments of DOS, but at a low level of competency).
Then I discovered (a pal introduced me to) Ubuntu (from 10.04, as far as I remember) and Linux; and Mint (about v. 14 or 15, I think); then Peppermint. So now I'm back again. "Yeay!"

I have a few questions: don't even know whether to start new threads for each, so here they are, all in one place.
  1. How to install projector (NEC NP3250W) as wireless connection - it has usb dongle with blue flashing light - which is what I was trying to do in Peppermint, when I broke the wi-fi; probably clicked the wrong setting, or something... which was the 'opportunity' to come back to Mint (I'd downloaded the .iso already - phew!)
  2. How to import bookmarks and logins/passwords from Chromium in Peppermint, (across the dual-boot partition) to Firefox in Mint?
  3. Is there a way to lose all the 'squiggles and dots' Eastern Fonts: Tamil, Urdu &c., which I wouldn't know how to use, and add some more useful ones (graphic, design, script, calligraphy &c.)? Would a 'font manager' work best for me, any recommendations?
  4. What's with the 'feature' in Firefox: on 'hover-over' a link or search result and right clicking for tip menu, too many options, and the one I'd use most - open in new Tab - doesn't do anything, not even when pressing 'T' and 'return'. I've discovered, by trying it, that drag 'n' drop the link to the tab bar does work. Why this way?
  5. Shutting down from the 'start' menu doesn't - just leaves the LM logo sitting, doing nothing. Only a press on hard power switch stops it. Can this 'feature' be over-ridden?
  6. Oh, and how best to enable mouse pad (Acer Aspire E15 Start): settings, driver or what? It's enabled, and when mouse plugged in, as well. [SOLVED: er, yes, the Fn + f7 does work. 'Duh']
...anyway, that's a start... and, yes, I did search forums and DDG'd the interweb as well. Thank you, in anticipation; cheers, Sid L.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: New member / stupid question...

Post by absque fenestris »

To number 2:
Every internet browser has a bookmarks export function in HTML format.
This HTML file can in turn be imported from any internet browser in any system.

for passwords I use a sheet of paper and a pencil (6B) ...
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Welcome - you will be a great resource with your experience and back ground.
This is a pretty friendly forum - much better than some others.
It takes a few posts to get what makes things easier for others to help but you will catch one . It does make providing support a bit easier to post each question in a separate thread with a good descriptive title. Being a little more dense than most other linux users it took me a little longer but eventually I caught on.

As for #3
This may help as far as the unneeded fonts are concerned
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID8

This may help with adding fonts that may be useful (it is in the Mate section but applies to all Mint versions)
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID1.8

This is a site maintained by on of this forum's most experienced and knowledgeable members and is very useful for tweaking Mint in general.
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/2.html
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Sid Law wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:21 pm [*]Is there a way to lose all the 'squiggles and dots' Eastern Fonts: Tamil, Urdu &c., which I wouldn't know how to use, and add some more useful ones (graphic, design, script, calligraphy &c.)? Would a 'font manager' work best for me, any recommendations?
Do you mean remove the Eastern fonts in LibreOffice?
If so, copy and paste (Paste is in Terminal's drop-down menu) this block of text -

sudo apt-get remove "fonts-kacst*" "fonts-khmeros*" fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-guru-extra "fonts-nanum*" fonts-noto-cjk "fonts-takao*" fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-lao fonts-sil-padauk fonts-sil-abyssinica "fonts-tlwg-*" "fonts-lohit-*" fonts-beng-extra fonts-gargi fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr-extra fonts-kalapi "fonts-samyak*" fonts-navilu fonts-nakula fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sarai "fonts-telu*" "fonts-wqy*" "fonts-smc*" fonts-deva-extra fonts-sahadeva

It will then ask for your password (type it in). It will run and part way through ask if it is OK to continue, Y = Yes.

As for fonts, there are two Google ones which you can use to replace the common Microsoft serif and sans serif fonts.

Carlito (Google) = Calibri (Word)

Caladea (Google) = Cambria {Word}

These can be downloaded from -

https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/carlito

and

https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/caladea

The Download Bar is under the advertising picture to the right, a brown bar with DOWNLOAD CARLITO (or CALADEA).

Click on it and tick the option Save File. Save it to Downloads or Documents, not critical.

Go to where you saved them and double click on one of them i.e. Caladea.zip to open it. You will then have a folder google-fonts-crosextra-caladea-20130214 (for the Caledea fonts).

Double click on this and it will open to show 4 fonts and a licence.
Double click on the top one and the fonts will show and on the right 2 boxes, Info & Install.
Click on Install.
Do this with all 4 so you will get "bold, "bold italic", "italic" and "regular".

Do the same with the Carlito zip file.

Go to LibreOffice Write.
Open Tools
Options
Fonts
Tick "Apply replacement table"
Type in to the box under Replacement Table, Font:
Calibri
Replace with:
Carlito

Click on the Tick to the right and then click the box "Always"

Do the same for Cambria and Caladea.

When you get a document in say, Calibri, it will show in the font box as Calibri but actually be running/showing Carlito.

The same with Cambria and Caladea.
Sid Law
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sid Law »

er... Quadruple thanks to 'ane an' aa' (Scots: 'one and all'), for the apposite responses: just what I was hoping for (always in hope, rather than expectation... )!

to absque fenestris - isn't that too easy? I'd expected (!) to be 'futt'ring aboot (ferreting about) with .json files...
...and, yes, I'd thought about using paperware with writing-stick 'app', but I'm sitting in front of a concrete computer (slab). I might try 8H, though, because that's the kind of guy I am...

to revmacian - yes, I know about 'inxi' - which point does that help me with / how? I may come back to this... I do appreciate the tip, however :-)

to majpooper - "SIR, YESSIR!" and thankyou for the "Welcome" / intro. You say "great resource... ...experience and background". Well, you say that... :-D
...as for the links: most helpful and greatly appreciated. All the right fonts, in all the right places...

to RollyShed - lovely little 'potted guide' - step-by-step, even I can't get it wrong (?)... but I'll try (!)...

to 'all of the above' - this gets me started with feedback from my First Post... and,

to anybody - do I start a new post for #1, and,if so, which thread? Would "Main Edition Support / Hardware Support / subforum: Graphics Cards and Monitors" be a Good Place to start? and #4 and #5 are Firefox 'features'; should I address these to Mozilla, or should it be a bug report? I don't even know where to start...
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Sid Law wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:55 am ...
absque fenestris - isn't that too easy? I'd expected (!) to be 'futt'ring aboot (ferreting about) with .json files...
...and, yes, I'd thought about using paperware with writing-stick 'app', but I'm sitting in front of a concrete computer (slab). I might try 8H, though, because that's the kind of guy I am...
I can't help you with the passwords, but the bookmarks are actually that easy to transfer. The import/export function is placed a little differently in the menu for each browser - if in doubt, just ask.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Passwords and logins. If using Firefox (on the original computer) it is easy to get them though transferring would be by hand.
In the address bar type -
about:logins
Down the left are the sites visited needing logins. The passwords are a row of dots. So? At the right hand end of the dots, very small, is an eye icon. Click it and the dots become visible password letters and numbers.
I don't know the Chromium equivalent.

From another of Scots origin..... (don't forget Glencoe...)
kiwipaul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kiwipaul »

Sid Law wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:21 pm
[*]Is there a way to lose all the 'squiggles and dots' Eastern Fonts: Tamil, Urdu &c., which I wouldn't know how to use, and add some more useful ones (graphic, design, script, calligraphy &c.)? Would a 'font manager' work best for me, any recommendations?
The fonts in Mint are stored at usr/share/fonts (this is one of the places anyway but it applies to all users)

I went to the TT folder and del all that I didn't want and copied from W10 those I did want and it worked fine.

To be safe move to trash any you don't want and if m/c runs ok you can del or restore if problem.
Dell i5 7500 desktop with16GB mem 256GB SSD running W10 in legacy mode.
32GB USB stick running Mint 20.2 Cinnamon bootable via BIOS
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator Note: One post deleted from thread at user request. Second post which referenced the deleted request has been removed from the thread.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”