Odd issue...Lenovo ThinkPad T520...CD Tray ejects on wake from suspend?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Odd issue...Lenovo ThinkPad T520...CD Tray ejects on wake from suspend?

Post by darkstrike »

Hi all - been using my new-to-me ThinkPad and everything works perfectly, but, as the title suggests, I've noticed that when I wake the machine from Suspend....the DVD drive opens? 0_o

I can then push the drive in again....it opens one more time (without me pressing the button!) and then if I push it closed again it starts acting normally.

This happens after every wake from suspend. Is anybody else having this issue or knows how to solve it? It's not a big deal, but it's a bit annoying and will be a pain when I am carrying my laptop around school.

Thanks for any ideas!

FYI - I had found this fix on the Arch forum, but it doesn't seem to work on Mint:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 5#p1725135
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Odd issue...Lenovo ThinkPad T520...CD Tray ejects on wake from suspend?

Post by t42 »

Which kernel you have? Try older kernel.
-=t42=-
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

I have Kernel 5.4.0-81-generic
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

The T520 is about 10 years old. My first inclination is that there may be a failure within the optical drive itself.
I have an old ThinkPad myself with a similar issue. It wasn't just after suspend for me, though.... it would just randomly eject whenever it felt like it. After driving myself crazy for a while, I was able to confirm that it *wasn't* a problem with Mint - - the same issue happened with the installed version of Mint, a live USB session of Mint, a live version of Fedora, and even under Windows 7 after swapping out the HDD.

The solution for me was to purchase a cheap used DVD drive from eBay to replace it. While I can't definitively say your issue is the same... but you can easily test it by trying a few different live USB sessions?
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

It's not the drive - the previous owner was running Windows 10 on this machine when he gave it to me (he upgraded to a newer iMac) and the drive did not exhibit the issue at all for him. Functionally, I know it works fine as well as I installed Mint from a DVD.

It only ejects on its own just after wake-from-suspend. Otherwise, it will only eject when I hit the button on it.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Try another kernel, the oldest one 5.4.0-26 and install the newest one from 5.11 series (at least temporary to clarify the issue). You need to choose 5.4.0-26 specifically from the Advanced Grub menu.
-=t42=-
BrandNewUser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrandNewUser »

The forum is full of this problem! The same happens to me.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Weirdly enough, with updates sometime in the last few weeks, this problem has seemed to go away for me mostly...?

Return to “Beginner Questions”